smelly toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my friend has a toilet room which has a big drain hole and drain cover in the floor (its big enough for me to get into it!). She had a blocked drain a while ago and the plumber found that the drain cover had been cemented down. He chipped away the cement, opened the drain hole cover (I can't think of the right word for it) and unblocked the drain. Unfortunately the toilet smells a bit now even though the drain is clear. Does anyone know what would be the best substance to use to make the drainhole cover airtight again? Cementing it seems a bit extreme.

Sponsored Links
Silicone or acrylic jointing compound. (I prefer the acrylic one) Grease at least one surface though, as it will be difficult to remove otherwise when you need to clear the drain again.

I fixed this type of blockage problem by laying down the rule that apart from soft toilet paper, the ONLY other stuff going down the pan should have been either eaten or drunk, NOTHING ELSE. We havent had a blockage since, and that was about 8 years ago.

The one I've seen are the screw down type with a rubber seal for air tight.

hi oilman is silicone or acrylic jointing compound the same stuff that you put round the top of the bath?

Sponsored Links
Yes, but put the sealer between the mating faces, not just squeezed around the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back