Smoke Alarm Positioning - interpreting the regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope I'm reasonably familiar with the current regs - smoke alarms not to be within 30cm of a light fittings or walls, alarms to be mounted within 3m of all bedroom doors, etc. However I'm a little confused by the "Max 7.5m from any door to a habitable room" clause.
I have a attached a rough sketch of my layout (refurb falling under building regs.) The door between the kitchen and lounge is indeed within 7.5m from the alarm, but that assumes I measure the "shortest" possible distance (ie hugging all the walls across the landing and through the lounge to take the shortest possible route.)
Is this OK??
Thanks
PS I know someone is going to suggest that I simply put an alarm in the lounge/kitchen, but the place is decorated now and it's going to a major pain to start trunking extra cables around!
:cry:

Sponsored Links
I think you will find that BC will insist on an alarm in the kitchen, as the most fire 'possible' room in the house it makes sense.

Not sure I understand why the decor would get ruined since its a run on the 1st floor down through the ceiling in 3C+E from the hall unit.

If BC are OK without a smoke in the kitchen then I'd argue that a kitchen isn't a habitable room. It's a functionary room and you are unlikely to spend the night sleep there.

Hi Chri5
This is the 1st floor of a 3 storey building (ground floor commercial, floors 1 & 2 maisonette) so there is a habitable floor above, hence the decor issue.
If (and it's only an if at this stage!) I put a heat alarm in the kitchen, I presumably don't need to put one in the lounge as well?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
No you don't, but do check with the BC because there vary from region to region, Council to council.

Rules are hallways on every level and kitchen for Enfield Council.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back