Smoke alarm wiring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I am upgrading some AICO smoke alarms in a HMO where the existing alarms will expire soon. They are each wired from individual ceiling lights. On the top floor there are 4 alarms. I plan to go into the loft and from above, power the 4 top floor alarms from a single ceiling rose, instead of having each smoke alarm being powered from individual ceiling roses. I plan to use 6243Y (3 core + earth) cable that will allow me to interlink them and reduce the need for wireless signalling. So only one of the alarms on the top floor will require a wireless signalling module to communicate with the alarms downstairs.
My question is, "Should I wire them in series (one after the other) or can I have all 4 of them connecting to a common junction box."
I am asking, because it can be awkward to get 4+4 = 8 wires into the terminals of a single smoke alarm with your head pressed against the ceiling when wiring them in series. The junction box option could be easier for me.
I have included a diagram to help illustrate the 2 options that I am aware of.
Many thanks for reading this.

Attachments

• SmokeAlarmWiringOptions.jpg
    SmokeAlarmWiringOptions.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
From the ceiling rose, the cable will be 2 core + earth.
Series option: Between each alarm will be 3 core + earth.
Junction box option: Between common junction box and alarms will be 3 core + earth.
The 3rd core will be for hard wiring the signal.

I have seen the series way being used before, but I wondered if it is acceptable to wire the alarms from a common junction box instead.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I should have probably described the 1st option as 'radial'. In effect both options are types of 'Parallel' going by what is taught at school, since live and neutral are connected to each device. I doubt that text book 'Series' is ever used in real life.
Anyway, what I want to know is should the alarms be wired consecutively, or can they be wired from a common junction box.

Are you sure?

The diagrams aren't much good without showing the individual wires.

Yes. My understanding is that the op is suggesting spider or in series - but NOT like your drawing which is unhelpful to say the very least

I should have probably described the 1st option as 'radial'. In effect both options are types of 'Parallel' going by what is taught at school, since live and neutral are connected to each device. I doubt that text book 'Series' is ever used in real life.
Anyway, what I want to know is should the alarms be wired consecutively, or can they be wired from a common junction box.

I knew what you were getting at - others think they are being clever

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back