Smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Also posted in building regs
Can anyone tell me regs on these as my renovation has just had the local authority out for my building warrant and they have said I need more?
As the ones I have are too far from bedrooms. Does anyone have the regs on this?
I have 6 smoke and 1 heat in the kitchen all mains and interlinked.
The main one in question is 3 metres from a guest bedroom and they are saying it's too far away and we need another one closer?

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/smoke-alarms.430075/#ixzz3UrwtFdlT

Sponsored Links
What sort of building is this? You say
guest bedroom
is it a hotel, bed & breakfast, HMO, what?

And where in the United Kingdom are you. The regulations may vary.

There are a number of regulations that you may need to consult, and these will vary depending on the above factors.

What you have to provide as well if any of the following is true:

- More than 20 persons are employed at any one time
- More than 10 persons are employed at any one time other than on the ground floor
 - he shop employees are working in the same building as others and the total in all the premises exceeds 20 or 10 elsewhere other than on the ground floor
- Highly flammable or explosive materials are stored or used
- Sleeping Accommodation is provided
- A Hotel or Boarding House contains sleeping accommodation for 6 or more people, which includes staff and guests, or a Hotel or Boarding House that sleeps a member of staff or any guests above the first floor or below the ground floor.

You need to give us a little more information regarding the property type and use.
It sound very much like this is not a typical domestic property and that the property is in Scotland (as you are subjected to building warranties).

In a standard domestic an optical smoke alarm within 3 metres of each bedroom door, would be acceptable. So there must be something that we don't know.

If this property is offering services such as B&B and you have more than 3 bedrooms, then I understand that a smoke alarm would be required in each bedroom as well as in the entrance hallway.
So I am a bit puzzled why the warranty officer is saying the smoke alarms need to be closer than 3 metres to a bedroom door? Closer does not suggest inside the bedroom!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back