smoke detector fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
with a meggar dipstick! and i've already stated that the neutral was the problem didnt need insulting just confirming!

they should put 3 neutral bars in the consumer unit for non protected circuits such as burglar alarms and smoke detectors!!!!

so go stick it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
You can't use the a neutral from an RCD way for a circuit with the phase supplied from the rail before the RCDs.
Are the smoke detectors not double insulated?

Might be an idea to get the mods to move this to electrics UK as it is a mains problem.

the circuit is fed from a split rcd x 2 consumer unit, the circuit is before both rcd's. when i switch on the mcb for the smoke detectors and they are plugged in it trips out the rcd (with the shared neutral as there is only 2 neutral bars in the consumer unit)
That doesn't make sense.
If you have a consumer unit with 2 RCDs, so that all of the circuits are protected by one of the RCDs, how have you connected the smoke alarm 'before' the RCD?
If the CU has 2 RCDs and a third section for non-RCD items, you need 3 neutral bars.

why am i getting a fault from the live of the circuit to the earth bar and tripping out the rcd that the neutral is connected to.
If the main switch is on, neutral and earth are connected either at the cutout, or further back in the network. If you get any reading between N&E with the main switch off, there is another fault somewhere in the installation, or more likely, a computer/television/other electronic appliance is still connected.

Sponsored Links
the circuit is fed from a split rcd x 2 consumer unit, the circuit is before both rcd's.

He has bodged the cu, he has a little knowledge but clearly not enough!!!!

As already mentioned if you have non-RCD ways they require their own neutral bar, THAT IS WHY YOUR MCB TRIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are not an electrician i would call one as the work you are attempting to do is probably notifiable, HOW are you 'MEGGARING' the circuits???

If you are an electrician I can now understand why they are advertising for sparkies at £6 per/hour in Liverpool!!!

Did you not question why the CU had 2 neutral bars? Why do you think there is only one earth bar???? How does an RCD function??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back