SMOKING BANNED

hermes said:
gcol said:
Pensdown said:
Of course smoking near small children is stupid, it's as bad as taking them to fast food places and letting them stuff their little faces with all sorts of rubbish.
Yeah i'm sure it is!!!!!!! Stupid comment dude. Did no one teach you to think before you speak? The two cannot possibly be compared. :confused:
Why can't they be compared? They are both contributing to the possibility of disease in later life.

They can't be compared because eating fast food is their own choice - breathing the 2nd hand smoke in the home isn't their choosing.

Pensdown
"Why not. If you look at the physical state of a lot of young people, they are well over weight, they eat far to much fat & salt and never exercise."

Yes I agree there seems to be a few more fat kids these days, but the point is that you can't justify smoking just because there are a few other things that are bad for us.

The whole point of this smoking ban is to protect non smokers in public places - they have a right to go where they want in a public place and not be poisoned. The smoking in the home issue has nothing to do with this ban. It will and always has been down to the parent whether they decide to poison their own child in the comfort of their own homes.
What I cannot accept is that I should be poisoned whilst having a few pints in the pub to save smokers kids from breathing in the filth that I have been breathing in. I think that's a non-argument.

Sponsored Links
Pensdown said:
then drink in a non-smoking pub, there are loads about
From where I'm sitting that is a ridiculous statement. I know of one non-smoking bar round here and an awful lot of smoking ones.

Pensdown said:
I think every smoker would agree that if you going to try outlaw smoking you need to start at the beginning. Raising the age to 21 would be a good start. And if young people under the age were caught smoking, although you can't fine them (most are penniless) send to a hospital ward and make them care for a cancer patient. Banning it in pubs is stupid. Adults have the choice to go to the pub or not. If it's full of smoke, then drink in a non-smoking pub, there are loads about
There's around 16 pubs in my village and not one is non smoking.
You're clutching at straws mate. The ban is coming, get used to the idea now. :D

Pensdown said:
I just seen the news, they want ban 4x4's now. I've also got one of them...not my night is it :cry:
LOL sorry dude. Based on what? They're unsafe for pedestrians? Personally I'd love a 4x4 but the tranny has to do for now.

Sponsored Links
Nannyism in its purest form, having now acheived their objectives the people responsible will no doubt move onto another of lifes pleasures.

It would surely have been more preferable to give the management the option of whether the pub is smoking or not. I don't mean separate rooms etc within the pub or club, I mean it is either full smoking or non smoking. A simple sign outside would tell potential customers and give freedom of choice.

Irresponsible or selfish parents, in the home, will always exist and this will not change. Unfortunately we need greater education even though it seem a waste of effort.

I am a non smoker but respect the right of the smoker to kill themselves if he or she so wishes.

gcol said:
Pensdown said:
I think every smoker would agree that if you going to try outlaw smoking you need to start at the beginning. Raising the age to 21 would be a good start. And if young people under the age were caught smoking, although you can't fine them (most are penniless) send to a hospital ward and make them care for a cancer patient. Banning it in pubs is stupid. Adults have the choice to go to the pub or not. If it's full of smoke, then drink in a non-smoking pub, there are loads about
There's around 16 pubs in my village and not one is non smoking.
You're clutching at straws mate. The ban is coming, get used to the idea now. :D

Going to go and sit in my 4x4, have smoke, maybe shoot a fox if I see one. :evil:

paulbrown said:
It would surely have been more preferable to give the management the option of whether the pub is smoking or not..
Got news for you matey, we've had that system in place for 100s of years.

hermes said:
paulbrown said:
It would surely have been more preferable to give the management the option of whether the pub is smoking or not..
Got news for you matey, we've had that system in place for 100s of years.

Didn't realise that, what does the sign outside look like then?

I'm looking forward to spending a whole night in a club without worrying about some daft tart carelessly burning me with a cigarette :LOL:

Now, I like to drink. I seldom drink more than about 10 units/week, and almost never on weeknights: any more than a couple of pints and I feel bad the next day! But the fact remains, I drink, and I enjoy getting drunk with mates.

But most smokers smoke EVERY DAY! Some "social smokers" (an oxymoron if ever I heard it!) only smoke occasionally, but in my experience "social smokers" eventually become full-on smokers. Surely that removes the "treat" factor of it from "an indulgent vice" to "nicotine-slave/junkie" :confused:

Alcohol addiction is relatively rare amongst the entire drinking population, but nicotine addiction is highly common amongst the smoking population.

Now, there is something I don't understand about smoking, that I have never been able to grasp: it isn't pleasurable! :p

Think about it: you drink a few pints, you feel happy, might get a bit wobbly, you do daft things and you have a great time. It is easy to take it too far, granted, but "moderate drinking" is brilliant. :D

But smoking... you stick a cigarette in your mouth, light it up and take a few drags... you feel slightly less bad than you did before.

So far as I can see, a smoker derives no more pleasure from his cigarette than I derive from a cup of coffee. I am possibly addicted to caffeine, but all a cup of coffee does is stop me craving a cup of coffee!

Oh, and it smells and tastes nice. But cigarettes taste awful!

So come on smokers, what do you find pleasurable about smoking?

Pensdown said:
maybe shoot a fox if I see one. :evil:

Just so long as you aren't ripping it to shreds with hounds, I don't have a problem with such a cull!

paulbrown said:
Nannyism in its purest form, having now acheived their objectives the people responsible will no doubt move onto another of lifes pleasures.

It would surely have been more preferable to give the management the option of whether the pub is smoking or not. I don't mean separate rooms etc within the pub or club, I mean it is either full smoking or non smoking. A simple sign outside would tell potential customers and give freedom of choice.

Irresponsible or selfish parents, in the home, will always exist and this will not change. Unfortunately we need greater education even though it seem a waste of effort.

I am a non smoker but respect the right of the smoker to kill themselves if

he or she so wishes.

thank you very much :rolleyes:

mlb3c said:
paulbrown said:

I am a non smoker but respect the right of the smoker to kill themselves if

he or she so wishes.

thank you very much :rolleyes:

For what? :?:

This smoking ban the government have passed, whats the real reason for it ?
Are they so concerned about the people who don't smoke,
Or is it down to saving money on NHS bills.

There will be some of you saying both,

If it's because of the people who don't smoke, i would like to know how many people go to hospital with smoke related illness's who don't smoke

The place where i live Newcastle people must not be bothered about smoking that much because every fri/sat/sun, the pubs are jammed pacted.

This ban could work out bad for the likes of newcastle, all the people going out side for a tab, there would be more people outside than inside,
which inturn would cerate more trouble in the streets, the police will have there hands full keeping order.

What about the sickos, praying on young girls, say for example two girls both smoke go outside for a tab, will they finish there drinks first or leave them, then go back inside to drink them.
If they left them there drinks might of be spiked by some sicko, and we know the out come of that.

Hi

As a smoker it kinda sucks having to go outside when having a drink (in winter that is), but I can understand why they have done it - they have just reversed the positions of smokers v non. Luckily my local is privately owned so they are not affected. At least now it will stop all the non smokers moaning - they will just find something else to moan about... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back