smoothing the back of a lock mortice

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am not very good at woodwork.

A long time ago I fitted a large mortice lock to my hardwood front door, drilling 5/8" holes and chiselling out the remainder.

I recently fitted a new lock, and although it is nominally the same model, the case is made differently and is a bit deeper, it is riding on the back of the hole. This is too deep for my chisels to get a cutting angle on it. I have tried raking the chisels forcefully down the back of the hole, but the wood is very hard and I am just scraping a bit of dust off, and chipping the edge off the chisels.

Is there a better way?

Sponsored Links
A Swan-neck chisel is the tool for the job . If its too deep for a mad bit you can just use a long flat bit to chew out the waste.

Jason

Use a flat bit of the correct diameter and cut the timber away...if you overdo it at some points it doesn't matter. John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back