Snow in late March

Sponsored Links
It makes me laff. Scientists all over the world agree there is climate change due to CO2 - yet a bunch of builders on a forum know it's rubbish. How do you know this guys? Or is it something you heard at the pub? :mrgreen:

Scientists are people too - subject to pressure, subject to seeing what they want to see in the data.

It has been widely reported for a few years now that there is no funding for climate change debunkers, i.e toe the party line, you gets yer grant. Try to debunk - funding gets cut.
OK, there are a few who are famous enough to be able to say "sod that", but I would reckon the majority of scientists are on little enough money, with little job security / chance of alternative employment, that they could see what fits best in the data.......

whereas non-scientists can spout any nonsense they like.

Almost every "clever" person on the planet thought that the sun revolved around the earth. Didn't make them right though.

Sponsored Links
Whether its cooling or warming is irrelevant. Its just plain naive to think you can burn all the oil, coal, gas etc and chop down all the trees on the planet and then think it won't have an effect.

People don't give a sh*t though.
My brother is chopping down all the beech trees on his out farm that previous generations never had to touch. Then a brand new 4x4 lands home on the driveway.
It's just plain greed.
Never will be any different where man is involved.

Global warming does not exist,its just a excuse to get you to pay more tax

You are correct in stating that global warming does not exist. But you imply it is some sort of (government?) plot to get us to pay more tax.

Instead, the government has been swept along by green pressure groups
and ministers seriously believe this nonsense.

And what exactly are the government doing,,,,, if not raising taxes because of pressure from the green brigade???
Just for starters, they allow electricity producers to charge more for electricity, to subsidise, alternative power generation. The government can claim (quite legitimately) that this isn't a tax, but when the likes of you and me are subsidising electricity costs for those few who can afford to invest in green energy, I for one can't see it as anything else than a tax. (by alternative power generation, think solar panels/ windmills, etc , etc) We the ordinary consumer, are paying for these, not the end user/generation company)

jj; yes, I wasn't saying it isn't a tax - in the sense of the government using it as an excuse to raise money for general public spending - (just as very little road tax goes on roads). Rather, I was suggesting that the government has been swept along by the vociferous green lobby and is dumping the cost of what the greens demand on the rest of us.

The government hasn't, of course, thought this through. In the end, we will have the highest power prices in the world, and for what?

Tis is (s)no(w) joke now. When will this weather improve?

Rollocks to those who believe in global warming - get down here and you will realise its all pie in the sky!!

you have failed to grasp the difference between "weather" and "climate change"

since the 1950's the number of cold days has reduced. However it is not zero.

did somebody tell you that's what climate change meant?

Scientists all over the world agree there is climate change due to CO2

Yes they do.

But you can find plenty arguing just *how much* of an effect it is having, all the way from an almost irrelevant impact (1-2c), to sever (<8c), and then some of these sever predictions rely on climate models that use positive feedback effects from water vapour, (more heat = more water vapour = more warming (water vapour is a greenhouse gas)).

Then you have some arguing more warming is *good* not bad.

What is warm and high in C02?

A greenhouse, y'know those things that grow lot's of food, because growing more food is bad right, right?

More, not less rain in Africa?

etc.

Now you could say this is all bumkum, and it may well be, we simply don't have the capability to fully predict what warming will do (even then we need to agree on how much warming to model for).

Saying there is a scientific consensus on C02 warming, is like saying scientists agree a car crash will cause damage, but then not knowing if the car is driving at 5mph or 60mph.

OOI, would folks mind posting where they live and how much they got hit with?

We had a little on Friday in Stokport, but it's mostly gone. Bitter wind, though.

We live near Buxton in Derbyshire and this is the worst i've known it in my life (admitedly quite short...) Luckily we've been away this weekend, Friday morning it didn't look like we were going to be able to go, but it stopped snowing at 11am so we loaded the car and headed off - couple of hours later and out village was shut off completely - so we left just in time. (for completeness, no snow at all in North Yorkshire :)) Yesterday morning was the first time anyone could get in or out of our village on a vehicle - we've literally been dug-out by JCBs and excavators from a nearby quarry.

Strangely, we haven't actually had THAT much snow. When we returned home yesterday the field behind our house was mostly green but the wind has caused drifts which cause the problems. The road through the village today is just the width of one car and has snow to either side ranging from 6ft and around 15ft deep. And then we had another 2inches overnight....

Snowed this time last year - had a great easter Saturday walk in the brecons through what was left of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_2012_United_Kingdom_heat_wave[/QUOTE]

Think he may be getting mixed up joe....I also remember this time last year wearing just a tshirt a=while doing the garden

I don't think he is getting mixed up - we had snow on the ground on Easter Sunday last year - distinctly remember doing an Easter Egg Hunt followed by snowball fight with the kids.... March might have been warm, but it definitely snowed the first week in April.

How long will it be before the so called 'experts' start telling us we are entering into an Ice Age?!!!!

whatever a real expert tells us will not be based on a few odd days weather.

No, but they have 70 plus days of continuous cold weather to base it on! Roll on the 'experts'!!

Sponsored Links
Back