so come on be honest

chrisr wrote

I'll ask again - who's going to pay for the extended training you want?

i have already answered that chris if you care to read the post :rolleyes:

chrisr wrote

In my case/experience, Wrong. And not a PDA in site

must be limited then :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It would help if you trained yourself on how to use the "Quote" button. Perhaps you should pay for training., if you can't read the instructions?? ;)

You haven't answered, I don't think. Commercial training is £200 a day and up. How much of that would you pay for? People whinge enough as it is about ACS costs.

numpty said:
must be limited then
in what way?
Are you saying that at your ACS cente you put the answers into a pda?

It would help if you trained yourself on how to use the "Quote" button. Perhaps you should pay for training., if you can't read the instructions?? ;)

You haven't answered, I don't think. Commercial training is £200 a day and up. How much of that would you pay for? People whinge enough as it is about ACS costs.

[Are you saying that at your ACS cente you put the answers into a pda?
just love the sarcasum chris fills me with warmth when people cannot reply without trying to belittle others :rolleyes: what next my grammer?

to answer you, all training is paid for by me ,upates by the company.

quote="numpty"]must be limited then
in what way?

your relatively new to this industry are you not chris?

[/quote]
Are you saying that at your ACS cente you put the answers into a pda?

no the answers are checked using a pda :rolleyes:

still learning how to use a keyboard/computer. :oops:

Hey you 3 this is my argument. :LOL: My point i was getting at was people where saying about the letter of the law if diy is legal and preaching that people should not do it as they where not compotent or corgi.
But as we all know just about every corgi guy has worked outside there remit .Which is illegal . So its a case as do as i say not as i do.

Re ACS centres when i done my refresh last year it was frightening to see people who already had ticket not even knowing the basics.
Guy sitting looking at a flavel regent gas fire trying to work out wether it was a positive or negative pressure appliance. Not knowing how to do a soundness test able to do working pressure etc etc.
With the instructor saying worse had been through.
Ask any transco guy some of trhe stupid things they get called out for by registered guys.
ACS is a money making enterprise and needs to be regulated properly.

Sponsored Links
Why does everyone treat rgi's as lepers and with contempt. Go down the merchant and bump into someone buying a boiler for there next illegal install, and you get a tirade of, you rgi blokes rip people off, i dont need to be registered, been doing this for years, hows the porsche and such like.

At the end of day my disposable income after van,tools,holiday, pension sick pay, insurance is not far differnt from some paye banging in boilers at weekends using company van, using company tools and as much purloined material as possible.

Who is offering a more proffesional and accountable service to Joe Public.

We cannot compare DIY gas work and an RGI working out of their remit ... at least the RGI has the basic knowledge to be safe dont you think?

I previously held warm air but never redid it as we just dont come across them much these days apart from ripping them out !!!

Does this mean im not safe to work on a WA unit ??

Most RGI's have enough knowledge to work on any gas appliance safely IMO.

As for ACS every RGI deals with an assessment center differently,, I know guys who are great engineers but go to pot in the center,, where as my ex boss was great in an assessment center but would I trust him on the tools... no way !!!

Guy on my ACS last years told me had fitted 'hundreds of boilers' without being Corgi registered or having been assessed.

His 'papers' were about seven years out of date (12 year old) they were the old bpec ones which he was scrambling about trying to find so that he could be assessed.

He was well into his fifties and when I asked him why he was bothering now he just shrugged his shoulders and didn't really reply properly.

I suspect he had been caught and was 'upgrading' his qualifications.

Another guy I know who is ex gas board has been doing boiler installations for years and has no ACS or Corgi registration and my local supplier's manager told me this guy has been doing commercial work for years and that they supply him with all of his stuff.

Heatingman i have been in the job 29 years now and have never been treated like a leper or with contempt. 99% of people treat me with nothing but respect for several reasons including my vast knowledge of product and my honesty .
The 1% where people i had turned off for having dangerous installations and after most calmed down they realised i had there best interest at heart.
Your still missing the point of topic which as every one was on high horse about what is legal and what is not yet they knowingly do stuff that is illegal. Does not matter wether you think compotent its simple you have to be registered to do do it

Gasman65 i agree with you but the law doesn`t.
Also the danger now is there is people out there that are purely corgi registered for fitting hobs or as seems to be the case now adays repairing boilers. And think they can turn there hand to any aspect of the job, which is different to likes of yourself who know/knew the job

Sorry for straying of the thread namsag, customers don't treat me with comtempt, just the bolshi, ignorant, been doing this years, I dont need corgi brigade.
Your correct I expect well have all at sometime worked out of our remit, knowingly or otherwise.
My gripe is. To work on gas for profit/gain I have to be registered, to be registered I have to prove competance, to prove competance I have to spend loadsa money on assesments. Diyer can just do it, and hope the consequences arn't dire.
I am not going to get involved in a legal/illegal debate, thats been well and truly thrashed out.
Regarding the ACS and quality/control that is better of being discussed in the CC.

At least you answered heatingman along with numpty1 and kev plumb and where honest.
Considering just about everyone who posts on here has been on since this subject was raised and it has had close on 600 views. Why don`t they want to be honest and answer the question.

Well I can hold my hand up and say I have worked out of scope.
I dont do it often but if I do its within my knowledge. :eek:

;)

My very first visit to this site, someone was explaining how they got some 2" barrel from BES and moved a gas main live, scared the bejesus outa me. Anyone else remember that one, if it was an RGi, definatley out of scope and now keeping stom.

Well i've done it. Corgi reg through company but installed boilers, fires, cookers etc. Mainly for friends and family who just couldn't afford the prices companies like mine charge. Last boiler i did (for mate) i charged £1200 (main 24he & 6 trv's). He had a quote for the same job £2300 to £2800+. obviously i know self employed don't like losing the work but all the lads i've worked with have done the same.

My very first visit to this site, someone was explaining how they got some 2" barrel from BES and moved a gas main live, scared the bejesus outa me. Anyone else remember that one, if it was an RGi, definatley out of scope and now keeping stom.

Was common practice for Transco Engineers to do it at one time (so I am told ) before they introduced the bung kit for changing maintaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back