Soakaway and adjacent foul sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Guys,

I have done a search in relation to soakaways but can’t find anything current concerning positions of soakaways and foul drains.

I realise that in general soakaways should be kept 5m from buildings but what about foul drainage runs.

I want to locate a fairly large soakaway partly under my drive and quite close (about 1m) to a new foul sewer that will be laid at the same time. I don’t yet know the relative depths except the sewer will be around 1.6m deep.

I am obviously concerned about the sewer, but the gradient of the sewer is steep so any minor settlement would not necessarily be a problem.

Any comment would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No rule on proximity of soak away to foul drains. Just needs to be 5m away from any building and 2m away from any boundary.

Thanks John.

That's what I understood it to be - I just can't understand where there are no rules about the proximity to sewers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back