Soakaway pond/reed bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm building an extension, and one of the requirements for the rainwater is to go to a soak away.

Rather than an underground soakaway, could I leave it open and create a sort of 'pond like' soak away with some reeds and similar plants? Would something like that be allowed?

If I did this, it would be about 20m from my property (and more than 5m from any other buildings), and ideally adjacent to the boundary and a leylandii hedge (on my property). Not sure if a soakaway is allowed that close to a boundary or not? (I've looked at NHBC 5.3.11 and it only mentions distance from buildings, not boundaries.)

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Thanks! That's really helpful...

Care to elaborate?

Requirement is for a soakaway not a pond and a pond will likely annoy whoever stated that requirement.

Sponsored Links
Nobody has really stated it as a requirement (yet), but I know I won't be allowed to drain the rainwater into the foul sewer.

It's not really a pond - I just said "pond like". I see these all the time for new estates, in fact there is one just down the road from me for 5 houses, but obviously much larger - I just want one in my back garden!

Google for "balancing pond"

These store the water from rainfall on roads and roofs and then allow it to run slowly into small drains or soakaways at a rate that the drain or soakaway can cope with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back