socket and switch points

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having an extension done so getting best part of the house wired up plus adding extra sockets put in some of the existing rooms the builder I have is registered for the electrics he doesn't seem to give me a definite answer for allot of the questions I ask him

The issue is the new electric points in the extension he says they have to be 450mm and 1200mm for the sockets and light switches for disabled people its down to new rules problem in the old part of the house sockets are max 300mm off the ground to the bottom of the faceplate

I don't really want the 2 halfs at different hights it looks odd enough to me that the new one would be up to my knee

cant he put them all in at the existing height so the all tie in or im not sure if he's playing me to get the whole house rewired then have them and the height of the new rules?

Please help don't know who else to ask as he doesn't give me proper answers he tell me not to worry it will all be fine but the winds me up even more

Sponsored Links
the building inspector is dealing with the builder Im at work while the work is going on

I dont really want to get on the wrong side of the builder seems nice enough plus the workmanship seems good to but he just cant get across a point in which i will understand i've seen a of the cowboy builders programs where people have had the builders leave part way through a job

Sponsored Links
what about having the whole house rewired there has been talk of this
what rules apply then
I've read some other pages on the net where that in certain conditions it doesn't apply for renovations but it was in a jargon im not clued up on

Unless your house wiring is in a terrible condition then the extension work shouldn't lead to a rewire. If the Electrician is genuine and competant then there are certain criteria which he will have to make sure are met before signing off any additional work. This can include size of main earthing conductor, main protective bonding to incoming services (gas, water, oil etc), supplementary bonding in bathrooms in certain circumstances and capacity/type of consumer unit.

There you go then, if BAS is correct then you can have them at the heights you wish......
If all else fails, and the BCO won't listen to reason, have him round for the final inspection before you decorate.

Once you've got the certificate, move the sockets down and the switches up, patch the plaster, and decorate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back