socket at consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
at an old rented property there was a double socket on side of housing of consumer unit which i found very handy. it seemed to be wired into the downstairs socket ring MCB. so into the one MCB there was the T&E out and T&E back for the ring circuit and a single piece of T&E running from same connections to the double socket.
i assume this is a no no
if i wanted one installed what would be best way to go about? incorporate it into downstairs ring ?

Sponsored Links
There's nothing wrong with the way the socket is wired - it's just a spur from the downstairs ring final and is entirely normal practice.
However, I don't like the idea of fixing a socket to a consumer unit!

if I had been doing this i would have made it part of the ring rather than a spur and taken one of the ring leads to the socket instead of back to the board and then added the new cable from socket to the board.
seen 100's of single sockets like this although fixed to the wall alongside not to the consumer unit itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back