socket earth connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Currently decorating a house.

I undid the brand new chrome socket face plate screws so that I could back fill.

None of the the face plates have an earth cable running back to the metal boxes. Surely That os wrong?

Sponsored Links
If one of the lugs on the Back box is permanent with no movement rather than slightly adjustable there's nothing completely wrong as such but it's better practice to run an Earth to link the socket to the back box.
When the Socket is screwed into the back box the Screw makes the earth connection, most electricians would run the small tail.

I undid the brand new chrome socket face plate screws so that I could back fill. ... None of the the face plates have an earth cable running back to the metal boxes. Surely That os wrong?
There presumably is an earth wire going to the socket(s) themselves? If so, then that will earth the face plate and the face plate screws will, in turn, earth the back box. However, many people would also run an earth wire from face plate to back box.

A bigger problem arises with metal light switches, since the switch itself does not have an earth connection. In that case, it is desirable to have an earth wire going from the face plate earth terminal, although people have been known to earth just the back box and rely on face plate screws to earth the face plate.

Kind Regards, John

A bigger problem arises with metal light switches, since the switch itself does not have an earth connection.
In that case, it is desirable to have an earth wire going from the face plate earth terminal, although people have been known to earth just the back box and rely on face plate screws to earth the face plate.
What do you mean?

Sponsored Links
Metal light switches not having an earth connection -

and then -

In that case, it is desirable to have an earth wire going from the face plate earth terminal,

Metal light switches not having an earth connection - and then - In that case, it is desirable to have an earth wire going from the face plate earth terminal,
Ah, I see.

A correct reference to what I wrote would recognise that what I wrote was actually ...

... since the switch itself does not have an earth connection ... (and "the switch itself" means just the switch, not switch+face plate)

In other words, unlike a socket, a switch ("itself") does not have any earth connection, but it's face plate will (if metal) have an earth terminal. Failure to make an earth connection to that face plate terminal therefore results in an unearthed face plate, even when "the switch itself" is wired correctly.

That comment was to contrast the situation of a light switch with that of a socket. In the case of a socket, if the "socket itself" is wired correctly (including the CPC), then its face place (if metal) will automatically get earthed.

Is that clearer?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks.

I didn't realise that the earth is actually connected to the faceplate. BTW the electrician did run earth leads to the light switch back boxes. I shall screw the face plates back on later today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back