Socket earth wiring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When wiring a polished metal double socket onto a plastic plasterboard gang,do you have to earth the face plate as you would when fitting to a metal gang?

Sponsored Links
All face plates are earthed, metal or not, hence why one uses twin and earth :LOL:

The face plate is earthed via the earth terminals on the rear :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Just wondered why on a matel gang there is a piece of earthing cable connecting the face plate to the gang and on a plastis gang there isn't?

Thanks!

Just wondered why on a metel gang there is a piece of earthing cable connecting the face plate to the gang and on a plastis gang there isn't?

Sponsored Links
chrislisawright said:
Thanks!

Just wondered why on a metel gang there is a piece of earthing cable connecting the face plate to the gang and on a plastis gang there isn't?

Coz I'd guess on a plastic one you're not doing anything other than connecting the earth to insulation (because plastic is non-conductive).

Do metal back boxes have to connected to the face plate by way of sleeved earth cable? Only reason I ask is because the face plate attaches to the back box by means of metal screws onto two metal lugs, one of which is fixed.

Just a thought - I've always connected a little bit of wire from the earth terminal to the back box because it seemed logical but thinking about it further I don't really see the point, have I been wasting my time?

FredFlintstone said:
chrislisawright said:
Thanks!

Do metal back boxes have to connected to the face plate by way of sleeved earth cable? Only reason I ask is because the face plate attaches to the back box by means of metal screws onto two metal lugs, one of which is fixed.

No so long as one lug is static you do not have to install the fly lead to back box. Personally I always do.

chrislisawright said:
A gang is a group of people, the word is usually used to describe a group of people set upon destroying a bus shelter or about to rob a shop.

Chri5 said:
All face plates are earthed, metal or not, hence why one uses twin and earth :LOL:
This isn't WHY we use twin and earth. We could use flex, with the same results as twin and earth. Are you saying if we didn't earth face plates, we could just use twin cable and no earths? Because your post seems to suggest that if we didn't have to earth faceplates, we wouldn't need to use earth cables at all.

If you dont earth the metal face plate and the box, and just earth the box when you undo the screws and pull away the face plate you aint earthed

Crafty said:
Chri5 said:
This isn't WHY we use twin and earth. We could use flex, with the same results as twin and earth. Are you saying if we didn't earth face plates, we could just use twin cable and no earths? Because your post seems to suggest that if we didn't have to earth faceplates, we wouldn't need to use earth cables at all.

Pendant :rolleyes:

We all know what the CPC is for, all I was saying is that the earth terminal(s) on a socket will provide earth for both the cct and the faceplate, I always earth to a b/box via some 2.5 earth flex between the socket and b/box.

Do you understand what being pedantic means :LOL:

Hmm another large slice of sarcasm from a regular :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And i didnt mean you chris :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back