socket fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an interesting fault with a double socket.
I know the socket probably requires replacement, but I am intrigued as to the fault.

one socket has no problem, works fine, however the other, when a 4 way extention (with little neon) is plugged in and switched on with no load, the neon glows (but not as brightly as it should, approx 50%) but when a load is plugged in, no neon glow, and no power.

the neon in the 4 way is phase/earth

Sponsored Links
High resistance connection, as soon as a real load appears the voltage dropped across the bad joint becomes high (V=IR) and the volts at downstream terminals all but disappear

Happens often with shower isolator terminals

Its a potential fire risk due to heat disapated at the bad joint, but by the time its got to the stage where neons are going out, its probably high reistance enough to limit to current to a very small value, its usually more of a fire risk earlier on where a considerable current can still be drawn

A high resistance (bad) connection somewhere on that particular socket (L or N).There is just enough voltage to make the neon glow but as soon as a load is applied the voltage is dragged down and it goes out.
Neons should be fitted L/N.If by any chance yours is connected L/E then this would indicate the problem lies with the L.This arrangement would also operate a 30 mA RCD if you have one fitted.I would replace the socket if you say the lead is ok on the other side ;)

EDIT: Damn you Mr Phoenix

cheers for that, the neon in the 4 way is definitely L/E connected, most probably a dodgy switch on the socket then, given that the other socket on the double has no problems.

Sponsored Links
timtheenchanter said:
cheers for that, the neon in the 4 way is definitely L/E connected, most probably a dodgy switch on the socket then, given that the other socket on the double has no problems.

OR it could be indication of a dodgy EARTH connection to the socket if the neon really is between live and earth.

The neon is glowing on energy from the capacitive coupling of the earth wire to the neutral. If the earth conductor is not connected to earth it has a voltage floats somewhere between Live and Neutral so would make a neon glow dimly.

When something is plugged in the capacity between live wire and earth wire in the appliance is absorbing that small amount of energy and thus the neon stops glowing.

Hmm, now you have me thinking.

I wont worry too much tough, all the earthing bonding is being re-done in the next fortnight, surely it will be tested? or should i mention the problem to the electrician to save him time fault finding??

timtheenchanter said:
Hmm, now you have me thinking.

I wont worry too much tough, all the earthing bonding is being re-done in the next fortnight, surely it will be tested? or should i mention the problem to the electrician to save him time fault finding??

Mention it to him. Ask him to explain what he found.

If he does the minimum necessary testing then the problem with this socket should be clear from the results of the test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back