Socket for boiler and pump not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the last few weeks the heating hasn't come on at the set time, even though the red lights were on on the control panel. When I toggled through the settings on the panel eventually I'd hear a click and the heat would come on.
Yesterday it wouldn't come on no matter what, checked the fuses on the boiler and pump plugs, all ok. I tried plugging them both into an ordinary socket and both came on.
So now I'm running the heat via a standard double socket meaning the control panel is out of the loop.

i) Is there any potential problem running the heat this way apart from the inconvenience of manually switching on/off?

ii) Any ideas what the problem might be with the original socket/ control panel?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i) Is there any potential problem running the heat this way apart from the inconvenience of manually switching on/off?
No. Although it's not ideal.

ii) Any ideas what the problem might be with the original socket/ control panel?
Is it on its own circuit or on a ring? Have you got access to a multimeter to check that you have 230v between L/N?

A good place to start would be to isolate the socket and open it to check that no conductors have worked loose. If you have 230v here then possibly your control panel is knackered. Does it have an internal fuse?

Is it on its own circuit or on a ring? Have you got access to a multimeter to check that you have 230v between L/N?

A good place to start would be to isolate the socket and open it to check that no conductors have worked loose. If you have 230v here then possibly your control panel is knackered. Does it have an internal fuse?

Its on it own circuit as far as I can tell, I'll try to get a multimeter to test it. I don't think the control panel has an internal fuse. Thanks for the suggestions.

Its on it own circuit as far as I can tell, I'll try to get a multimeter to test it. I don't think the control panel has an internal fuse.
Open the control panel just to make sure. It will be mighty frustrating if you later disover there was a fuse in there. ;)

If you haven't got a multimeter (you can pick one up for around a fiver at Maplins) then try pluging in a table lamp or similar into the socket. This will at least give you a good idea as to whether there is a problem between the socket and CU.

Sponsored Links
This sounds like a control panel problem. There should be a way to reset the panel to its factory settings. If you have the instructions it should tell you how to do it. All controls are different but on many you have to either hold a particular button for over 3 secs or hold down a button whilst you switch on the power. If resetting fails to cure the problem it may be the battery in the control (usually a disc battery to maintain memory during power failure). If this does not solve the problem then I suspect you need a new control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back