10 plugs from one socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I've just moved properties and am in the process of setting up my AV system which is to be hidden underneath the stairs and controlled via an RF remote. The problem I have is that there is currently only one socket available that needs to power 10 plugs.

If I convert this to a double socket and run a five socket extension lead of eack socket will this still be safe? (not all 10 units will be running at the same time).

Cheers

Sponsored Links
A couple of options.
10 gang extensions do exist, not just the standy uppy type, but normal plug boards too.
change the single socket for a double, or if its in the wall use a converta socket to get the two gang.
please also consider ventilation for 10 peices of AV kit in a cupboard, even 2 grills to and bottom to get some through flow might just stop your AV kit cooking itself.

Sponsored Links
The problem I have is that there is currently only one socket available that needs to power 10 plugs.
You don't power ten plugs, you power ten attached items of equipment. What matters is not the number of items, but the power they take.

Consider two extremes ...
The ten items are low power AV stuff - things like DVD players etc are usually considerably under 100W and only the TV is likely to go significantly above it. So all ten devices in use at once would only reach (say) 1kW, or a little over 4A - most likely much less.

At the other extreme, the devices are high power equipment like kettles, toasters, microwave, and so on. You could be doing well to run two such devices off one plug without problems - as I've had to explain more than once when extension leads have appeared in the shared kitchen at work :rolleyes:

If I convert this to a double socket and run a five socket extension lead of eack socket will this still be safe? (not all 10 units will be running at the same time).
Each extension lead will be protected by a 13A fuse in the plug of the extension or sometimes found on the extension socket banking.
So providing you do not overload each lead you should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back