Socket in the Garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a novice with very little knowledge/experience so please speak without jargon and abbreviations!!!!!!!

Basically I had a wooden box in the garden housing an external socket. Long story short it's stopped working. Also inside the timber box is a black probably bakerlite box with a big fuse with two prongs on it. There is also one of these black fuse boxes in the basement (which is the other end of the cable) which then terminates with a standard appliance cable and 3 pin plug! The cable is a multi-stand live in a single red sheath and a multi stand black - each is in a separate black sheaths, which shares a sheath with the seathed live. This cable is in a conduit There is a separate 6mm earth (see my album for a photo of the cable).

My question is - I want an external socket at the end of the garden where the wire terminates is about 30m from the house how does one do it? I had an electrician over who told me (without testing anything or opening the box to see the cables) that he would need to run a new SWA cable and said it would cost about £1200 - which seems a lot of money for a socket.... He also said that the socket would have to be inside a building - nearest is 10m from the cable.

Am I being robbed or could it be true?

Thanks for your help.

F

Sponsored Links
View media item 61823That looks like concentric cable which the electricity suppliers use, it doesn't comply with the IEE wiring regs which we use for electrical installations for use buried in the ground without additional earthed protection (stupid I know as the electric board use it!)

The rest of existing setup doesn't sound that nice though, can you post some more pics?
His method doesn't sound too wrong however it is possible to have external sockets.
His price sounds a lot but without seeing the job and knowing how much work is involved it is impossible to say if it is too much or not. You could ask how much if you dig the trench.
If you feel the price is too much then try another spark.

We're having building work done so I'm having them run SWA to a garage about 20m away. I'm paying £1,000 inc VAT but that includes the digger for the trench (which was onsite already) and making good the garden, plus install of a new CU in the garage and wiring in new plugs and a 30A socket for the welder.

So £1,200 does seem high but if he needs to bring in a digger and dig a 30m trench then I'd guess your still talking high-hundreds.

But, as ever, always worth getting 2 or 3 quotes.

Sponsored Links
not than hiring a digger and operator it doesn't. Especially if it's soft ish ground (like it is now)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back