Socket not working downstairs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

One of my downstairs sockets appears to have stopped working, its not a socket I use very often so it could have been like that for some time.

I'd like to try and work out what the problem is myself and would like some advice as to the best course of action. I have some basic test equipment available (a fluke T50 tester and a fluke volt stick)

I checked the fuse board and nothing had tripped so I carefully took the front off the socket and put the tester onto the screw terminals between live and earth and live and neutral, nothing on either.

There is only one cable coming into the socket, so I presume that this is a spur.

What is the best course of action from here?

Sponsored Links
Look inside nearby sockets, there may be a socket with 3 cables in it.

But the circuit may well be a radial, with this socket being at the end of the circuit.

So if you dont know, it'd be a good idea to (with the power off) remove each socket in turn and tighten the terminals, make sure everything is sound.

Has any work been done in or around the area of this socket or nearby sockets in the past, that could have damaged the cable, nails, screws etc...
If not, likely cause is loose terminal feeding supply to socket from a another socket, this could be nearby or even on a different level in the house, upstairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back