Socket Outlets in Skirting Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am new to this forum lark so please treat me gently!!

Although apprenticed as an electrician many many years ago i am not up to date with current regs

My house is Edwardian and as i am finding there is a mixture of different generations of wiring which will need updating

Most of the rooms have socket outlets flush mounted into the large skirting boards. Ring main feeds come up from the suspended floor directly below each socket behind the skirting.

Ideally i would like to keep this arrangement but update wiring and sockets as required.

Any advice gratefully recieved

Sponsored Links
Sockets that low down are a Bad Idea™, as they can get kicked, whacked by vacuum cleaners, and with moulded plugs the flex may end up being bent at too sharp an angle.

553-01-06

Are you aware of Part P?

However, if you have really high skirting boards, the plug insertion problem might not exist

Thanks for replies so far

Understand the dangers of being kicked or damaged by cleaners etc however they are well clear of the floor so there is no problem with severeley bent plug cables.

Sponsored Links
Well if they and any plugs are not at mechanical risk you're free to leave them at their current height, or move them up the wall - your choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back