socket placement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi What if any is the law on putting sockets on a wall in a cupboard under a sink.below the taps

Sponsored Links
No specific regs other than equipment must be suitable for the location in which it is installed, if you feel there is a possibility of water spray, people touching it with wet hands, etc, then use of a mk masterseal would be advised

Thanks Adam Its a problem in work, the lads have had a kitchen fitted (for their own use) and the plumbing is leaking from the soldered joints and the tap unions, really quite pathetic. There is water trickling down the wall to the fused spares under the sink which connect to the hot water geyser, there is also no earth bonding on the water pipes. Really I need to know how dangerous this is and what if any Laws are being broken. I dont want to have a told you so situation should someone get a bd jolt off the sink or taps.

I may risk of being ‘told off’ for hijacking but my question is so close to this topic it seemed logical to do it; the original question has been answered anyway!

My related topic is the positioning of a light switch in a small utility room. A friend (not an electrician) has told me that I should not position the light switch for my new utility room where it’s possible to touch the switch while with your hands in the sink, is this correct?

I suspect that most small utilities will have the same problem as I have in that the size of the room & location of the sink means this is impossible without locating the switch on the outside, which in my case is not desirable.

Sponsored Links
It's widely believed, but it's not a regulation. As long as it's far enough away not to be likely to be splashed, it will do. Like your friend, I still think it's a good idea if you can manage it, sockets more than light switches.

Thanks for the quick response John, it;s a relief to get that cleared up; there is no way the switch can be splashed as it's on an adjacent wall but it can be reached from the sink, as I suspect most can!

JohnD said:
It's widely believed, but it's not a regulation.

Not in BS7671, but there are guidelines in the IEE guide to the building regs.

Imhud, Please get a qualified electrician to check out your electrics under the sink. Safety at work would dictate that your employer should sort this out anyway. :!:

Richard C said:
I may risk of being ‘told off’ for hijacking but my question is so close to this topic it seemed logical to do it; the original question has been answered anyway!

My related topic is the positioning of a light switch in a small utility room. A friend (not an electrician) has told me that I should not position the light switch for my new utility room where it’s possible to touch the switch while with your hands in the sink, is this correct?

I suspect that most small utilities will have the same problem as I have in that the size of the room & location of the sink means this is impossible without locating the switch on the outside, which in my case is not desirable.

Richard C said:
I should not position the light switch for my new utility room where it’s possible to touch the switch while with your hands in the sink, is this correct?

Building regs say that accessories should be no closer than 300mm to a sink.

There is no requirement to place a switch outside the room if it does not contain a fixed bath or shower, indeed even then if you can place said switch in Zone 3, it is allowable.

discoverer said:
Imhud, Please get a qualified electrician to check out your electrics under the sink. Safety at work would dictate that your employer should sort this out anyway. :!:

Thanks discoverer, that is where I am at the moment, I was just hoping to find some regulations on socket positions similar to the ones above a worktop so I could take them in.
I think it is really dangerous and as I am over these lads, I obviously feel responsible, so am trying to get the bosses to act.

Cheers again

securespark said:
Building regs say that accessories should be no closer than 300mm to a sink.

There is no requirement to place a switch outside the room if it does not contain a fixed bath or shower, indeed even then if you can place said switch in Zone 3, it is allowable.

Now confused again; is a light switch an accessory? 300mm from which part of the sinK? So is it OK or not?

Richard, all the 'white bits' are accessories: switches, fused connection units, isolators, sockets, lights, fans, etc...

The 300mm (which is a recommendation, not a regulation) is a horizontal measurement from the perimeter of the sink/draining board unit.

There is nothing wrong with the position of your light switch, as described, unless you are determined to unscrew it and grab hold of a live part while simultaneusly clutching earthed metalwork.

Water itself is not a good enough conductor to be a real concern in a domestic environment. The issue is with the lower electrical resistance of naked wet bodies, which is why bathrooms are special locations and cloakrooms/utility rooms are not.

lmhud,

Put your concern in writing to the management, maybe even send it to them by recorded delivery. That should clear your ass and put the responsibility firmly in their lap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back