Socket spurs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know you're not supposed to run a spur from an existing spur (and I'm not planning to!)... but what would actually happen if I did?

Sponsored Links
You run the risk of overloading the supply cable, causing it to heat up, possibly melt the insulation, cause a short circuit, start a fire.........

However, radial circuits are OK as long as the number of sockets does not exceed the rating of the supply cable - usually 2.5 mm sq.

Power cable is usually 2.5mm which allow 30A in a ring and 20A radially. Now people rely on central heating, power cable rarely gets used to capacity.
The IEE regs are specific on it and you can read them in the library. However in practice the main problem is confusing future electricians. If you adopt non-standard wiring it could lead to confusion and extra labour charges when correcting faults or extending wiring.

depends if it's a fused spur or non fused. you can install as many fused spurs as you like so long as each one is protected by the previous one

Sponsored Links
don't think the problem is confusing future electricians - most of the good ones will not trust what they have until they've checked it - confusing future diyers is the most dangerous thing, because they don't know what to look for and don't have the knowledge to check properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back