Socket through a switch

I still would cut off the moulded plug on the transformer and change for a round pin to prevent the socket from being used for a hgher load in the future.

Sponsored Links
Equitum,

above noted. Yeah thats not a problem i can do that, my main issue was running the cables correctly, passing through the relevant switches.

Last question i promise about this post (unless i really struggle).

Are we in an agreement that i can do what my diagram shows below with regards to running cables as long as i get the bend radius right and using the correct switches? if so i can crack on chasing out.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5990/plinth2uo8.jpg

Thanks again to everyone

equitum said:
I still would cut off the moulded plug on the transformer and change for a round pin to prevent the socket from being used for a hgher load in the future.
I have said this to someone else on this same topic before! THE MOULDED PLUG IS A WALL WART! :!: :evil: And sticking 240 volts up a 12 volt cable is NOT a good idea!

Sponsored Links
Steve,

Yeah no worries i wont cut off the moulded plug i will just keep a normal 13 amp socket. the socket is going to behind base units so there will be no other load gettting plug into it apart from the plinth lights.

Tony 1 said:
Steve,

Yeah no worries i wont cut off the moulded plug i will just keep a normal 13 amp socket. the socket is going to behind base units so there will be no other load gettting plug into it apart from the plinth lights.
Just so we're clear, my shouting was directed solely at equitum, as he clearly hasnt bothered to read the whole thread and hence giving bad advice. :(

Steve,

Not a problem mate. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

Tony 1 said:
"Why are you so concerned with keeping the 13A plug on the plinth lights?"

Electronicsuk the reason being is because the plinth led lights are 12v plugged into a transformer which has a molded plug for 240v mains.

Steve,

From this statement from the OP I would have thought it reasonable that to assume the "moulded plug" is a 240V BS1363 moulded onto the flex on the primary side of the transformer. It does not say it is a wall wart. It does not say the the transformer is part of the plug, if it is, then I apologise for suggesting it can be removed.

PS. Tony, this work is notifiable under Part P (to the LABC)

Equitum,

Yeah my fault, im not sure if the plug is a wall wart as i have not purchased them yet. I should have made myself more clearer.

Part P. I'm going to get a qualifield sparks to check all wiring. Just wanted to make sure routes were ok so i can chase out and buy equipment etc etc.

Thanks

Steve said:
I have said this to someone else on this same topic before! THE MOULDED PLUG IS A WALL WART! And sticking 240 volts up a 12 volt cable is NOT a good idea! :(

Steve said:
Just so we're clear, my shouting was directed solely at equitum, as he clearly hasnt bothered to read the whole thread and hence giving bad advice. :(

Hmmm, Seems you may have jumped to conclusions, Steve, best get your facts right and "bother to read the whole thread" or ask the right questions before you start shouting and bad mouthing others advice !

Tony 1 said:
Equitum,

Yeah my fault, im not sure if the plug is a wall wart as i have not purchased them yet. I should have made myself more clearer.

Part P. I'm going to get a qualifield sparks to check all wiring. Just wanted to make sure routes were ok so i can chase out and buy equipment etc etc.

Thanks

No problem, in fact good news as you have the choice now.

Getting a sparks to check the wiring does not stop it from being notifiable.
He will need to test the circuit and issue a minor works certificate AND notify the LABC via a self certification scheme operator, e.g. NICEIC.

Tony 1 said:
I'm going to get a qualifield sparks to check all wiring.

I heard about this man, he mst be terribly busy, lots of people seem to use him. Never met him, though.

equitem said:
He will need to test the circuit and issue a minor works certificate AND notify the LABC via a self certification scheme operator, e.g. NICEIC

Noted, thanks. I would assume a sparks would know this when he comes to check/test but if not i will make sure he is aware!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back