Sockets not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House is 12 years old.
Was remodelled 5 years ago
I've lived here 1 year
The smoke alarm was beeping due to low back up battery and as it is mains wired, I flicked the switch at the consumer unit to knock off all the electrics while I removed the alarm cover.
When I switched the electrics back on, a few sockets were no longer receiving power. Checked all the breakers were in the on position. They are. From the labelling it would appear that there is one circuit for downstairs sockets. However some of them work and some don't. Is it possible that the ones not working are on a spur with a fuse that may have blown when I turned the power on? I can't find such a thing but is it possible? Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Yes possibly some bodged diy electrics carried out at the time of remodelling or maybe they run off a garage consumer unit which has tripped.

Blup

It might not be a ring

If it is a ring, there might be two faults.

Draw a plan of your house, mark on all it the sockets on each floor (and the CU), then test every one and mark it Live or Dead on each one on your plan. The pattern will give some clues.

You can buy a Socket Tester for a few pounds which will give additional info

Post a scan or photo of the plan when completed.

Many trips will not allow you to switch on with an over load, the lever moves, but the internal mechanism does not, you can normally tell as lever goes light. Some do have a window to show if tripped, but not all.

First thing is remove all items from faulty sockets, and turn off that MCB/RCBO and then turn it on again.

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo of consumer unit? As per John, get a socket tester. Are any of the affected sockets ran in trunking?

Could there be an RCD fused spur somewhere that is non-latching so on power failure it needs to be reset, long shot i know?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Have you physically reset each breaker switch , they can look ok while not being locked on.
Are any of the sockets new?

Could there be an RCD fused spur somewhere that is non-latching so on power failure it needs to be reset, long shot i know?
May be a long shot but it's a very good call. It'show I added RCD in my shed.

Many thanks for the replies. Problem resolved. I THINK what did it was pushing the reset button on the RCDs. I had switched them off and on but not pushed reset.
Subsequent problem was that the part of the ground floor with the socket problems turns out was on the circuit marked "caravan socket, below". I ignored that MCB as wrongly I thought that couldn't be it!
Lesson learned!
Thanks again for the input.

• Thanks
Thanks for the update.

Don't forget to alter the lable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back