Sockets & Switches - Distance from Corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read that "Electrical sockets, switches and other electrical control devices should be a minimum of 350mm from any corner of a room".

I am having an extension built with an octagonal end on the room. The internal corners are not 90 degrees but 135 degrees. Does the same rule apply, as I would like to put sockets for table lamps close to the corner?

Thanks,
Martin

Sponsored Links
The guidance about distance from a corner is probably for Part M compliance, and Part M does not apply to extensions, except via the general requirement that after you've done building work things mustn't be less compliant than they were before.

So unless the existing property was already "disabled-friendly" there won't be a requirement for accessories to have any particular position in the extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back