Soil Pan Straight Connector to Clay Pipe Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Due to a leak caused by the top of the soil pipe crumbling and breaking away I want to repair using a straight connector.

I have 2 issues:

1. The pipe will need to be cut in order for the final level to match existing and space is tight. I have a 4 1/2" angle grinder which may just fit but unsure about cutting at the back near the wall?
2. As the pipe has been lined, I cannot get the pipe with the finned rubber seal fitted into the pipe due to the now reduced diameter. I've noticed that you can get a screwdriver between the liner and the clay pipe and prise it away so wondered if I could cut the liner down the inside and remove just enough to get the connector with the finned rubber seal in place?

Any ideas/help gratefully received.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's internally lined. I guess it's more of a resin as it was pumped in to repair damaged clay pipes outside though I can see no evidence of cracks in this internal section that is now exposed. You can click on the picture to make it full screen if it helps?

if you can struggle away and cut it 6" below floor level you could use a piece of 4"waste and a rubber collar. cant remember what the collars are called but if you go into any plumbers merchants they will know if you explain what its for other than that you could again chop it down and buy a reducing flange from macalpine but beware they are very expensive usually about £30

Sponsored Links
you could use a piece of 4"waste and a rubber collar. cant remember what the collars are called but if you go into any plumbers merchants they will know

This is a Flexseal rubber coupling with a jubilee clip at each end. I personally wouldn't want one of these below floor level where it can't be inspected, bearing in mind the seal is on the OUTSIDE of the soilpipe. They do work but are always a bit of a last resort.

me neither which is why i gave you the thanks iv never seen them before and have struggled a few times to deal with similiar probs

joiners never make good plumbers lol

me neither which is why i gave you the thanks iv never seen them before and have struggled a few times to deal with similiar probs

No problem. To be honest I would say one out of four bathrooms I have done I've needed the 3.5 inch adaptor. I've seen plenty of 4 inch pan connectors rammed in to 3.5 inch soil branches with the fins partly cut away- not good.The trouble is people don't know about them because they don't sell 'em at the sheds. Only the merchants stock them.

The Multikwik website is worth a look for other useful 'problem solver' soil fittings.

http://www.multikwik.com/catalogue/14/wc-connectors.html

So the multiquick 3.5" fitting may be the better option. I assume the other end willl fit a 4" pan connector without leeks?

Any tips on cutting the clay pipe other than carefully?

Thanks

cheers for that steady iv bookmarked the link and will have a good look tomorro you may have just saved a few of my clients a few quid when im next called out

we all learn something new every day thats why were alive

No probs. Save the Flexseals for outdoors preferably round the back of old bingo halls and council tenement blocks. ;)

Any tips on cutting the clay pipe other than carefully?

Thanks

as said get rid of the floor boards, use the angle grinder to cut the front section of the pipe until you can fit the grinder inside the pipe, that way you can cut the back section of the pipe

cant put them on tenemant blocks pal theres metal on them we all know what the scrags are like for weighing in things that dont belong to them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back