Soil pipe connection to clay/ pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
I've just installed a new toilet, basin and bath and have connect all the waste to a new soil pipe. I am not sure of two things. The main one being connecting the soil pipe to the clay pipe in the ground. It is an old pipe which i presume goes to the man hole. Haven't had chance to inspect it yet but it is where an outside toilet used to be. Here are some pictures below. I need to know how i'd connect the downward plastic soil pip to the horizontal clay pipe underground.

2r2uo7d.jpg

x29zdu.jpg

1zbb1w9.jpg

I have found this but this is a straight connector. Would i have to put a plastic 90 on the bottom of the soil pipe and connect it that way?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1...&ndsp=46&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:75&tx=114&ty=66

My second question is for the venting of the soil pipe. Because the roof goes out and to avoid hitting the fascia and guttering i'm going to have to offset it. Would two of these be okay?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bottom-offset-bend-grey/13227

Lastly, the the vent terminal and collar. Shall i solvent these into place or are they push fit??

Sponsored Links
You'll need a proper long-radius bend and a plastic to clay adapter to connect. The work you have done is notifiable to Building Control, so you need to arrange an inspection. They'll also be able to help you by telling you exactly what it is they would expect to see

Firstly, you need to ascertain where the drain does go! If it runs to the manhole, no problem but you need to be certain before connecting to it. (Also, are you sure its clear? No ingress of tree roots, broken joints/pipes that will soon cause it to block!) If it doesnt go directly to the manhole, but branches onto a foul drain then some method of access needs to be incorporated, either mini chamber in the drain or access point at the bottom of the stack (at ground level). Building Control will advise on preferred option.

Once this is sorted, you'll need to either (very carefully!) cut back the clayware pipe or you may find it'll 'fall apart' at a joint. If you cut it, chamfer edge to avoid material catching and causing a blockage. Fit suitable coupling to adapt to plastic, and long radius bend at base as said.

The offset bend is fine, usual practice is to use a bottom offset and top offset, (glue these on!) to form a 'swan neck' to clear fascia.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back