Soil pipe slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our builder installed a soil pipe for our toilet but the pipe slopes towards the toilet. The pipe needs to be trimmed a little but will be around 15 inches long before it hits a 90 degree bends outside. To make the spirit level, level, I need to raise it around 8mm.

I know this isn't ideal, but seeing the pipe is quite short how much of a problem will this be?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Measure the height to the centre of the toilet pan spigot adding the new floor thickness, then measure to the centre of the soil pipe.

I know this isn't ideal, but seeing the pipe is quite short how much of a problem will this be?
What, raising it or having a slope?

Having a slope - Over that short a length when you get a 6l flush everything should get flushed through and at worst you will be left with a max 8 - 0 mm sloping depth of retained "clean" water which will not be an issue especially more so when you are flushing after a No1 and basically you are just cleaning the pipe.

Sponsored Links
Over that short a length when you get a 6l flush everything should get flushed through and at worst you will be left with a max 8 - 0 mm sloping depth of retained "clean" water which will not be an issue especially more so when you are flushing after a No1 and basically you are just cleaning the pipe

Erm, unfortunately I have to disagree. Pan connectors are notorious for leaking at the spigot connection where the pan connector or outflow pipe is anything but at a min fall. The water always sits in the bell shaped join between the connector and the spigot, simply down to that shape and over time that seal will eventually leak. Certain waste can also be caught in that spot if there isn't enough flow to take it over that point.

I would never fit a toilet to a soil outlet unless there is at least a min fall, especially if it is then to flow into a bend.

i had a worse fall then that on my toilet around 45mm - and the paper would never flush.....and often had a film on water
I had to make a plinth to raise the toilet , to get it to at least slope a little - but it went straight out the back and then via slight bend into a soil pipe -

they had also added at least a tube of silicon all around the joint - inside and outside - loads and loads of the stuff - took me hours to get off , using WD40 -

i posted about the plinth here.
Used some softwood in the end 46mm finish - but i had to plain that down a little

First rule of drainage, sh1t doesn't flow uphill. Its need to be on a minimum 1:100 fall.

Get him to alter it, it's not rocket science, and if it's not right, you'll be having problems forevermore. That's what you're paying him for.

Thanks for the comments.

The relationship went sour with the builder at the end because we made him repair\replace broken stuff. Otherwise, I would definitely have him back. That said, if this is going to be a major pain then we will have to get him back.

Currently, its wooden floorboards but the room is being tiled. So will have concrete boards\no more ply with adhesive and tile on top. Probably bring it up 20mm-ish in total.

Will get the toilet out the box at the weekend and see how low the spigot is sitting, I guess if its really lower than the soil pipe, I shall have to drag the builder back.

Thanks!

Will get the toilet out the box at the weekend and see how low the spigot is sitting, I guess if its really lower than the soil pipe, I shall have to drag the builder back.
Best course of action going forward, see what you're left with and take it from there. Looks like he core drilled the wall for the soil pipe, which makes adjustment a little more tricky, but a bit of effort with a chisel and lump hammer will soon have elongated the hole slightly if the pipe needs to be raised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back