Solar charging system for lighting inside a shipping container

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, as stated in the thread title as I know sweet FA about soar panels, I would like a steer on what I need to proved power to light a shipping container with LED ‘s. It seems I need a panel, a battery, a connector box and I’d read somewhere about a device that stops the battery overcharging. Im just confused so HELP please. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Rather than going through some info

Sponsored Links
It depends on costs of components, and I am out of touch, the MPPT regulator as far as I remember alters the supply voltage from the solar panel to get maximum output, and uses switch mode power supply technology to change the output voltage to what the battery requires, and loads are taken from the regulator not direct from battery so it can better ensure battery is fully recharged.

However you can also use a simple zenor diode, like were fitted to motor cycles in the 80's.

So the same solar panel can give vastly different outputs depending on the units connected to it. For my caravan while in storage a very small solar panel was enough to maintain the battery, and use the lights on the odd time, but to use solar panels while living in the caravan they need to be far bigger.

I would look to narrow boat users, they have a problem the engine does not run long enough, so have looked at wind chargers and solar panels to supplement what the engine and odd shore hook up can provide, they have got it down to a fine art living mainly off grid.

My garage I just carry the battery down when I want to use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back