Solar lighting batteries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me if it is ok to put Nimh batteries in a solar light that states use Nicd rechargeable batteries. It appears that Nicd batteries are being phased out and Nimh are replacing them but will the solar charger recharge Nimh batteries.

Sponsored Links
As I understand it NiMH and NiCD rechargeable batteries charge in different ways.
Unless the solar cell equipment is specifically set up to charge both types of battery then you could cause damage to the equipment or batteries if you adopt your proposal.

You really need to speak to the solar cell manufacturers.

There are three ways to charge both NiCad and NiMh batteries.
1) Trickle normally takes 16 hours or more this will work with either type.
2) Temperature sensing takes about 6 hours will work with either type.
3) ΔV this monitors the voltage rise and both types the voltage dips once fully charged but the dip is less with NiMH than with NiCad so NiMH chargers are OK with NiCad but NiCad chargers may have problems with NiMH batteries.

Having said that I have found some cameras which state do not use NiCad but not sure if that's because of charging or discharge rates.

What I would do is first time as the batteries are getting near fully charged just put your finger on them. Once fully charged they should start to get warm but not hot. See if charger turns off.

There is also a problem in chargers often have a max charging time. However the NiMH batteries can have a far larger capacity to NiCad so it will time out before fully charged.

Not all NiMH are the same. Some are high capacity others have low self discharge AA cells can vary between 600mAH and 2800mAH with some holding charge for months and others self discharging within a week to half capacity.

In the main ΔV chargers will charge individual cells but the temperature and low output types often charge cells as pairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back