Solar Roof Panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched on the forum and can't find anything to answer my question which is:

Putting an unvented sytem in with a new boiler and am attracted to the idea of a solar panel (mainly on green issues but also from a hopefully cost saving)

What does anyone think? Good/bad idea?
In general terms what sort of cost for supply is involved?

Sponsored Links
Very good idea, but as you say don't do it for cost saving alone. Evacuated tubes are more efficient, a rough rule of thumb for tubes is one panel per person.

You will need a solar twin coil un vented cylinder. Also check with planning dept as they often require permission to fit although there is no mandatory requirement for planning permission :rolleyes:

You will be looking at around £1800-£2100 + VAT for a complete kit plus fitting.

You will save around £120 - £150 per year for an average sized property.

If you go for Daves favourite (vaillant) you wont need planning as the panel is less thatn 100mm off of the roof. ;)

The actual difference in efficency between flat and tubes is only about 2%, the actual siting of the panel will be your biggest factor with regards to panel efficency.

This is more for the installers!

The current tubes are just a flat panel in a tube and little different apart that the tube is somewhat evacuated and loses less conducted heat.

That kind of tube is quite a lot more efficient at difficult times of year around winter.

However, I am sure I saw some tubes a number of years ago with a tube down the middle and an aluminised coating on 180° of the tube which reflected the heat onto the tube.

The advantage was that it significantly concentrated the heat and higher temperatures could be extracted during poor conditions.

What happened to that type?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony, not wanting to sound rude, but you have opened your self up to criticism from your 'enemies' on here again :LOL:

An evacuated tube is completely different to a flat panel, a tube is not just a flat panel in a tube :eek:

Yes tubes are more efficient but usually only in the winter months. As icgs says I do only specify the Vaillant ones at present. These are basically what you have descibed in a limited format. The solar fluid travels down the tube and back up again, it has a smaller tube inside the main tube. The back of the tube (internally) is coated in 100% silver for ther reflective properties (don't tell the gipo's :LOL: ) The other style of tube has a solid copper conducter down the middle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back