soldering iron

• Thread starter mickyyoungplumb
  • Start date
M

mickyyoungplumb

Evening, the last time i used a soldering iron was in school! i am a plumber so use a gun all the time so i understand the principles of soldering. What im doing is making a joint on an ecu from my van. I need to make a link between two points. What is the thin metal used to make the bond???

Sponsored Links
solder? or am i being stupid?

It's a lot thinner than plumbers solder but it's still solder

correct, the conductive path. Its such a tiny little leg, but i want to give it a go before i pay for a new one. It's super thin metal, where will i pick that up from? or get a piece from.

Sponsored Links
To make a soldered link, you need tinned wire. You can buy this or run solder down say a piece of 1mm copper cable (multistrand).
You can try and make a bridge with thin solderr, but you need a soldering iron and not a gas iron to do this. If you have any old diodes or resistors, use the legs of these to make the bridging wire you need

im literally getting up at 7 to go buy an iron and some solder, mayby il just buy a resistor and use the leg from it

yes i know i still need an iron and solder and yes i do have some heat resistance flex in my van. So i can just use a strip of thin copper strips?

A flex core will be fine, as long as it isn't too big and heavy to fit properly - tail wagging the dog and all that.

If this is PCB repair then you need to be carefull as soldering wire to a broken PCB track can result in the track detaching from the board. Removing the solder resist coating from a thin track can weaken the track at the point you attach the link.

The best way is to connect the new link to the legs of components either side of the damaged track.

Tack the link to the board with dots of glue.

Its such a tiny little leg, but i want to give it a go before i pay for a new one. It's super thin metal, where will i pick that up from? or get a piece from.
The advice you've been given is all good. Just one point - if this PCB track 'burnt out', that could well have been for a good reason (e.g. a fault somewhere in the ECU), in which case repairing the track may not solve the problem. Indeed, if you replace a burned-out track with a more meaty piece of wire, it could possibly immediately fail in a somewhat more dramatic fashion (since the replacement wire will allow more current to flow before it 'burns out') once you have repaired the track.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back