Soldering under the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been investigating pipework ready to move a radiator, I notice that the radiator has been moved previously and a combination of solder and compression joints used. I suspect the solder was done out of the floor and then compression to finish off, possibly to reduce fire risk. What would you do? Are there fireproof sheets available to prevent fire?

Also the pipework is not far from a gas pipe (maybe 6 inches), so I'm wondering if they may have opted for compression due to that too?

Sponsored Links
You can get various types of heat mat, some being better than others, the thicker type from half decent plumbers merchants are good, avoiding the thin ones from larger diy stores- You can even get a heat proof spray now that stops surrounding areas being burnt. You could try to solder any pipework out of situ or bend pipe, obviously you could use compression fittings as well.

regards

ken

For a DIYer the push fit connectors usually used for plastic pipe have a lot of advantages used under the floor on copper pipes.

But they do have to be correctly fitted onto cleanly cut copper tube ends. No hacksaw cuts!

Tony

Which is when those hand held wheel cutters are a Godsend!

Sponsored Links
May be worth considering the house insurance is unlikely to cover hot works.

I planned to do most of the soldering out of the floor, think I'll probably use a pushfit to join old to new, I'm not a huge fan of compression as they always seem to either leak or crush the pipe. I know some people don't like pushfit but I'll be replacing something like 5 compression joints (the pipe takes a strange circular route back on itself!) with 1 push fit and a few solder so I'm happy.

On compression, whilst the system is drained I'm planning to change some of the remaining valves to TRVs, any idea if the olives are likely to be ok to leave on, or will I have to take off and replace?

Thanks

Having a decent blowtorch designed for the job helps too - it allows you to rapidly get targeted heat in to the joint and get the job done before anything starts cooking.

Some of the blow torches you see on sale are more suited to creme-brulee!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back