Solid Brick Shed, Damp Proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a solid single brick shed, which we need to step up into through an outside gate door. The flooring is concrete. It has one single pane window and old style corrugated roofing.

We would like to use this as a hobby, come workshop area all year round and would like to damp proof it and give it lighting.

Can anyone help - as we just do not have a clue where to start :confused:

Sponsored Links
Are you still waiting for a reply to this? If so dry lining would be the obvious answer. Could also take the opportunity to give more insulation. Does the concrete base have a damp proof membrane? If not lay one and screed over. Does the roof leek, if so repair it.

For electrics: If all you want is lighting, run a cable to a fused spur in the house, fit light switch, and a light fitting.

Post a reply if you still want details.

Yes I am still after an answer, thanks for your reply.

Yes it does help, but I am sorry I am a total novice (but what is dry lining?) i'm sorry if this sounds really dim but I am not used to this type of language yet.

I'm not sure if the base which stands about half a foot off of the ground does have a damp proof membrane - is there any way of finding out?

No the roof does not leak. (its the old style corrugated aspestos - I know we need to change it, but at the moment it is sound.)

As for the electrics I do understand what you have said, and will look into that once I am ready. Thanks for your help and look forward to your reply

ramsartraining said:
?No the roof does not leak. (its the old style corrugated aspestos - I know we need to change it, but at the moment it is sound.)
Best to do this first, it will be easier because of lots of dusts & debris otherwise you forever sweeping up plus nothing in the way. When you've done that we can help as you go along !
As for the electrics I do understand what you have said, and will look into that once I am ready. Thanks for your help and look forward to your reply
When you're ready for this, post this in the electric section.

Sponsored Links
Yes. Definately get rid of the asbestos first. This will be very messy, including damping down the area. Not something that you'd want to subject your new hobby room to. There was a large thread on this subject click here for details. The way I understand it, you can remove the stuff yourself (taking adequate precautions), bag it up, label it, and take it down your local tip. But do check with your local council first. They will have a designated site to take it.

Chances are, if it's an asbestos roof, the support structure is going to be inadequate for anything more substantial. It would probably be best to put a completely new roof on. which type of roof you opt for depends on the existing structure, your own taste/budget etc.. If you want further advise on this please give details of the sheds dimentions, and shape. Is it a pent roof (has it's highest point running down the middle), or is it just a single slope.

Drylining consists of laying plastic sheets up the wall. Fixing battons to the wall on top of these, and then fixing plasterboard to the battons. While you're at it, you can, optionally, put insulation between the battons before you apply the plasterboard.

How to tell if you already have a damp proof membrane in the base is more tricky, as there are so many ways of building a shed. A Damp Proof membrane is simply a large plastic sheet set into the concrete a few inches below the surface. If your brickwork starts lower than the floor level inside the shed, chances are, you have one.

If your brickwork starts at the same level as the floor inside the shed look for the raw edge of the plastic sheet sticking out the sides of the base (probably a few inches lower than the floor level). If after carefull inspection you can't find it, chances are you haven't got one.

My advice would be to sort out the roof first, followed by laying a DPC and screeding over the floor (if required) next, and then do the Electrics and dry lining. Replacing doors, and windows is another whole subject, and you may also want to fit some ventilation dependant on the windows you select to keep/install.

As this is post takes in so many issues it would be worth your while to concentrate on one area at a time and post more specific queries based on those areas.

Blimy have I typed that much already :oops: . Hope I havn't bored you to tears.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back