Solid Oak Worktop Prep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have some solid oak worktops ready to be fitted to our kitchen.
I also have some natural clear beeswax to treat them with.

Before fitting I was going to treat the underside with 4 coats of the beeswax
Lightly sand, treat, sand, treat.....

Then once fitted the top needs treating.
My questions are:

Is 4 coats to the underside the right amount?
How many coats over what timescale should I apply to the top?

Many thanks

chris

Sponsored Links
Thanks awbcm but there isnt really any treatment advice there just advice about life with them in a kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris,

As other have indicated I would avoid using beeswax. It's primarily used on decorative furniture normally in conjunction with Shellac Sanding
Sealer. Although this process produces a wonderful finish it will not stand up to much wear and tear.

In my opinion you would be better going for Danish Oil or Worktop Oil.
These finishes offer far greater protection and will need hardly any maintenance. They are both white spirit based and should be left for 12 hours between coats. It's normally recommended that a minimum of 3 coats should be applied by brush or cloth (towelling).

I really hope this helps but please ask any other questions you may have.

woodfinishes1877[/url]

Hi all, thanks for continuing to post.
Yes, was beginning to think, from research that the recommended beeswax was a bad move.
General recommendation seems to be Danish oil, so I think ill go for that.

So if I do three initial coats over 3 days sanding lightly between coats.
How regular after that should I do it? 6 monthly or over the first few months should I do it more?

Thanks for your ongoing help

chris

I'd be surprised if you neet to do it more frequently than once every 6 months...the general "rule of thumb" is that once it looks a bit tired put another coat on.

When applying coats in the future I'd recommend that you thin the Danish oil with approximately 10% White Spirit.

woodfinishes1877

You should be able to pick up some Danish Oil from both B&Q and Jewson - the only thing is Danish Oil does not have an industry standard and all manufacturers produce different types. Are you looking for a matt version?

Yes I would be looking for a matt finish, to be honest I like the sound of the worktop oil you recommended.
Ive been disappointed by the quality of DIY shop products before and kinda think this is something not to get wrong really.
What would be the difference between danish oil and worktop oil?
thanks

The Worktop Oil has a urethane resin in it making it more durable that Danish Oil. It leaves a great looking matt finish.

but what would people recommend I do to clean the existing surface? the table has got a bit dirty and is down to bare wood where I've scrubbed hard to get some paper that got stuck. should I get all or most of the existing danish oil off and with what?

I'd try using White Spirit and a stiff brush to clean off any old residue. Danish Oil is normally deep penetrating so the only way to remove it entirely is to sand it out. Don't think this is usually essential and a good clean with white spirit and then a quick sand should do the job. Then you can proceed with Worktop Finish.

Hope this helps

We only recommend using Danish Oil - It's an amalgamation of all the best finishing oils out there to create a superior product.

Don't by tempted by Linseed Oil or similar.

Hope this helps,

--

http://www.chippyshop.co.uk Worktop Jig
The UK's BEST Worktop Jig Supplier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back