solid wood flooring - float or secret nail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this subject has been broached before but the post I was looking through didn't seem to have a conclusion.

I have some to lay end of next week (195mm floormaster from B&Q) and I was intending on doing it as a floating floor. However I have now been advised to secret nail it instead.

Opinions as to the best method would be greatly appreciated, I don't really want to spend the extra time nailing it all but at the same time I have to make sure it is a good job.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Floormaster B&Q: have you opened packs to see how many short lengths you have? If 40 - 50 % short lengths (shorter than 70 - 90cm) than DON'T install using the floating method.

thanks for the reply, all the packs are opened and they are all 1200mm long. What would be the issue with doing it as a floating floor if they were short lengths?

The issue is that with many short lengths you'll get too many joins which will work as hinges, making the whole floor unstable.

Sponsored Links
ok, great, so if I make sure I only use longer lengths it should be ok? or would it be better to be nailed? I have never laid the solid wood before so want to make sure I get it right :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back