Solid Wood on Concrete Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of having a solid wood floor on the ground floor of my house.
The floor is concrete and the house is approx. 30 years old.

The shop from where I intend to purchase has advised me it can glued stright on the concrete floor.

Is it OK to glue straight on the concrete floor or should one have DPM and/or underlay with vapou barrier first and solid wood on top.

Any advice would appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I am thinking of having a solid wood floor on the ground floor of my house.
The floor is concrete and the house is approx. 30 years old.

The shop from where I intend to purchase has advised me it can glued stright on the concrete floor.

Is it OK to glue straight on the concrete floor or should one have DPM and/or underlay with vapou barrier first and solid wood on top.

Any advice would appreciated.

That sounds ropey. pvc barrier then plywood.

You can glue straigt to a concrete floor after a moisture test has been carried out. If the RH readings (relative humidity) are below 75% then it is safe to proceed. if they are above 75% then it isn't and you will need a DPM (damp proof membrane).
The place you bought or are buying the flooring from should have explained this to you.

To use an underlay (called a "floating floor"). you would need an engineered floor for this and not a solid plank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back