Solution for stopping the noise of a tank filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, is there anything out there to stop the dripping noise when the cold water tank is filling.

What I mean is there any device that means the water fills from a few inches below the water surface? Like a simple tube or pipe to take the feed under the surface?

Could I just fit a piece of pipe onto the normal setup?

Just had a loft conversion and we will be much nearer the tank so want to get it as quiet as possble.

Ta

Sponsored Links
yep, short piece of pipe will work. they do the same in toilet cisterns

yep, short piece of pipe will work. they do the same in toilet cisterns

Ahh Cool. I was thinking that would work but wanted to check if there was any reasons to not use that method.

I assume there is no way that having the supply below the water line with a pipe can cause any contamination problems in the tank as the water will no doubt be more still?

Thanks,

fitting a tube to ball valve will remove the air gap in the tank that is required by water regulations to protect against back syphonage

Sponsored Links
the valves fitted in WC cisters incorperate an anti vacum

so if you installed a pipe with a small hole drilled in it, it would be fine, since you cant create a vacuum with a hole in the pipe.

Rigid pipe used to be used in water cisterns for this , but was replaced by collapsible plastic stuff to prevent back syphoning.

i have seen that, i honestly thought it was to cut costs.

so there is the answer to the question, a bit of polythene pipe.

now you point it out is obvious, the pipe will colapse if it syphons

i have seen that, i honestly thought it was to cut costs.

so there is the answer to the question, a bit of polythene pipe.

now you point it out is obvious, the pipe will colapse if it syphons

So where can one get some of this polythene pipe then?

Thanks for all the comments.

local plumbers merchant.

might be easier to change whole valve with new pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back