Some Advice Re Loop in Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some basic knowledge of electirics. In my living room I have a 3 gang switch that controls the living room light, the hall light and an outside light, it is linked to one other switch in the hallway. As long as we have been in the house it has been wired incorrectly. When you switch on the left and right switches together, the living room light only comes on. None of the other lights work (with any combinations of the switches!) At the switch there are five cables. One three core and earth linked to the hall switch and four twin and earth cables. All the neutrals are together in a connector. All wire colours are pre 2005. I believe what I am looking at is loop in wiring wired through the switch.

Of the four twin and earths, should one be the main feed and be constantly live and the other three switch cables? If so am I right in thinking that I should then try to identify the three switch cables using a multimeter and then label them accordingly? I would then propose to post some pictures and seek advice re the correct wiring.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I will crack on with establishing the live feed and the switch cables and come back for further advice. So that makes sense, if there is just one feed coming in that's why I have two pieces of seperate wire linking some of the terminals.

I have now identified all my cables using the multimeter. Of the four twin and earth cables, one is the live feed and the other three are switch cables. I have labelled them as follows:

1 = Live, 2= Living room, 3 = Hall, 4 = Porch, (5 = the three core and earth link to the hall switch.)

The switches on the three gang switch are laid out in the order of L, L1, L2. I know that I need to loop the live feed to the other two switches. How do I now wire up the switch? If this is insufficient information, I am happy to post a picture of the back of the switch..

Sponsored Links
Shane, does your live cable go into the switch with the three core?

scrub that does the hall cable go into a switch with the three core

right just drew it out so:-
all four blacks together (of the twin cables)
red of the live into L of the first switch, short link of red into L of second switch and short link of red into L of third switch
yellow and blue of three core into L1 & L2 of hall switch ( i am guessing three core is red yellow blue) Red of three core on a seperate connector block with red of the hall twin
red of porch twin cable into L1 of porch switch
red of living room twin cable into L1 of living room switch

all earths together in earth terminal

hall switch otherside of wall red L yellow L1 blue L2

the only problem you may have is that if i has been wired incorrectly in the past one or more switches may have been "blown" and you may need a new switch.
obviously you must work with the power off

Fireman22, you are a top man, lights all sorted and working and my wife was very impressed (obviously I did'nt tell her that you told me how to do it :D)

No - I should keep quiet about that if I were you, as it was a dangerous thing to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back