Some advice....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been in our house about a year now and after some initial DIY we (I) managed to put a nail through one of the central heating pipes in the wall. This was duly fixed and re-plastered.

However it did get me thinking where the pipes are actually located. I do have a pipe detector but that seems next to useless. I have a two bedroom terrace house. It's a sealed system off a combi boiler. The first radiator is in the hallway about a meter from the boiler. The pipes then travel up above this to somewhere upstairs. Upstairs there are a radiator in the bathroom, spare bedroom and master bedroom. In the living room which is roughly underneath the bathroom and part of the bedroom is the other radiator.

Is there likely to be another location where the CH pipes are chased in to the wall and come down from the upstairs or just the one location in the hallway?

Any ideas? I appreciate that all systems are different.

Sponsored Links
If the pipes go up into the ground floor ceiling, and there are further radiators down stairs, I would expect thay would come down to them somewhere, yes. As Gav says, can be just about anywhere. But logically, assuming radiators have not been moved, or moved far, you can work out a most likely rough locations.....

Daniel

Most metal detectors should locate them.

Good practice is to only run them in walls horizontally or vertically.

But many installers are lazy and use the shortest route!

Tony

Sponsored Links
If they're plastered over brick/blockwork turn the heating on and feel the wall as the pipes warm up. As said they should run in the corners. You can also do this if its a cavity wall but not as precisely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back