Some Sort of Pressure Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has a conventional gravity fed central heating system.

Potterton Kingfisher floor standing boiler, hot water cylinder, expansion tank in loft etc.

There's a problem at the moment whereby when the domestic hot water is on by itself, everything is fine.

However, when he switches on the heating, a load of water shoots up the vent and into the expansion tank, then starts over flowing continually.

Anyone got any ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Probably due to a blockage somewhere, need more info on the system - motor valves etc.

HW is possibly gravity looped and CH pumped leading to pump over due to incorrect plumbing.

Could be blockage as well as mentioned already.

I doubt it's been incorrectly plumbed, as it's been an installation that's been there for years, and this problem has only just started happening.

My initial thought was a blockage somewhere as well. Mainly as I don't think he's ever had any inhibitor in the system ever.

Do you think if we drain some water out of the rads, then put in a couple of tubs of Fernox, it will dissolve any blockage?

As always, any help would be gratefully received.

Graham

Sponsored Links
Will Fernox dissolve it, or is the only way of getting rid of it is to cut out and replace the blocked part of the pipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back