Some temporary measures and pending work

Sponsored Links
I have no idea why the conductors are in metal FP but the whole lots coming out soon

Looks like pyrotenax to me... never heard anyone call it 'metal fp' before!

And it used to be used a lot more than it does now, you'd sometimes find parts of schools wired in it, whole classrooms, etc... no one does that now, too expensive!

Handdriers in public buildings was another one, most of the wiring would be 6242Y, but handdriers would be in MI..

I think it one of those terms you pick up and use from the people you work with or maybe it crept in with the rise of the red plastic stuff, I never saw any "sand "come out when I sawed (grindered) them off, it was more like fridge grade copper really soft

And it used to be used a lot more than it does now, you'd sometimes find parts of schools wired in it, whole classrooms, etc... no one does that now, too expensive!

My junior school was wired top to bottom in nothing but pyro.

Luuuuurvly :D :D

Sponsored Links
Adam - you don't here people call it "Pyrotenax" either - just on forums.

Known simply as "Pyro", or in my area as "MICC" or "MI", as in mineral insulated copper clad.

Too expensive to install these days, even on high end specced jobs.

Luuuuurvly :D :D

I've got a picture of some pyro work which is anything but 'lovely' :LOL:

... Think red sheathed stuff slung in against the backdrop of a stone wall in a church, presumeably because it was specified by someone who never had the mis-fortune to witness the end result!! ... fed from a new remote DB taped off the incommer of the existing DB in 10mm² 6242Y as well (preseumably they didn't have any red sheathed pyro quite that big :LOL:)

Did some subby work where they could not care bare MI in on time, and we ended up de-sheathing red, orange and white MI......

Had to re-gland some 16mm 4c once too, no tools go that big - you improvise.

Also did some 7 core 1.5 for some control circuits - a real PITA when potting. They go larger than 7 core too.

A chap we use quiet often on larger jobs subbied to the re-wire of tower bridge - every inch inside is MI, several 300mm trays full of it. One subby had a grievance and took his hacksaw to a tray.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back