Something to paint over damp patches in ceiling please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a small but very elusive leak in my roof for over 14 years now. I've lost count of the number of times I've had someone out to look at it, both inside and out, and I've spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds on it, and yet still the water comes through. I've even had a roofer up in the loft when the rain is tipping down and is coming through the bedroom ceiling below, but even then no one can work out exactly where its coming from and where its getting in. I've decided enough is enough, and I'm unwilling to waste any more money. I've got to the stage where I no longer care whats going on up in the loft as I don't go there, I just want the bedroom below to look good. I'm tired of having damp patches, bulges and water tracks and marks on the ceiling. Please can someone recommend a product that I can paint on the bedroom ceiling to stop the water coming through? So far I've tried several coats of Damp Seal and Damp Stop, and even tried superglue to try and get the paint thats lifted to stick back,(yes, I'm that desperate!) but nothing works. I know that in an ideal world the leak should be fixed from the outside, but as I said before, I'm desperate and I just can't take it any more. Just to give an idea of my (small!) DIY skills, I can paint reasonably well, and can cope with a step ladder, but I don't climb ladders outside, so going up on the roof is a no no for me! Thank you for reading this.

Sponsored Links
There isn't anything. Just put a bucket in the loft where it leaks so it drips in the bucket. It's probably your ridge tiles leaking and running down the rafters.

Thank you for your reply. I had the ridge tiles checked and repointed (if that's the right word for replacing the mortar between them?) a few years ago, but it didnt make any difference. I've got about half a dozen bowls up in the loft already, but the water still comes through. I think the problem is that it isn't dripping straight down, but getting in and then running along for a while before dripping down, and that it doesnt always take the same route for some reason!!

Joe is right, the problem will never go away just by painting something over the patch. sadly more money needs to be spent.
For a one off permanent solution I would be tempted to get a quote from guys that spray the whole inside of the roof with elastomeric foam sealer/insulation. may be an arm and a leg but looks pretty impressive product.

http://www.sprayseal.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
Joe is right, the problem will never go away just by painting something over the patch. sadly more money needs to be spent.
For a one off permanent solution I would be tempted to get a quote from guys that spray the whole inside of the roof with elastomeric foam sealer/insulation. may be an arm and a leg but looks pretty impressive product.

http://www.sprayseal.co.uk/[/QUOTE]

Do a search and you'll find that this approach isn't very popular on here as it encapsulates the timbers and can lead to a rotten roof. The water will still be entering but will be held by the foam leading to damp roof timbers. The only real solution is to STOP the water entering in the first place.

//www.diynot.com/forums/roofing-guttering/spray-roof-insulation.301157/#2198986

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=363351#363351

//search.diynot.com/forum_sear...tbytime=0&author=&search=Search+Forum&stype=0

An important point to consider here, if you haven't already done so, is whether the roof is actually leaking or whether there is excessive condensation forming up there and dripping onto the ceiling. (Does it definitely only occur when it rains?)

I had this problem a few years back after insulating the loft and had to have roof vents fitted which solved the problem. We still get a little condensation in extreme weather conditions (last winter, for example) but there is no dripping due to good airflow.

As I say, it's worth thinking about if you haven't already and the information in this link may help:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=160032

I agree that, unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing you can apply to the ceiling that will solve the problem, which must be done at source. :(

If the damp is near an eternal wall I would look at the guttering, seen it before, client initially assumed it was the roof.

http://www.sprayseal.co.uk/[/QUOTE]

And potentially may lead to condensation problems...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back