Sony TV - Vertical Lines Instead of Picture

I don't think that's it in this case.
You may not think so but it is the case.
Sony web pages even now say standard warranty is 12 months, above that only if you buy additional cover ..
The manufacturers warranty is in addition to your legal rights. Your legal rights are not a warranty but protection against faulty goods.
That corresponds to my hazy memory from when we bought in in 2017. Currys was offering a two year warranty, but was £100 more expensive and I didn't think it worth the extra for one more year. Furthermore if I use their Warranty Checker and put in the correct model but slightly different serial number it says the warranty expired in 2018 - 12 months. Put in my serial number and it says "Your warranty end date is: 14/09/2022" - five years.
Retailers make lots of money selling unnecessary extended warranties to an unsuspecting public.
I'm pretty sure this is something to do with my fault report. During the correspondence they wanted to see a proper invoice from the retailer, and shortly after I sent that I received an email titled "The service contract for your Sony product has been updated." and including a PDF certificate with start and end date, terms and conditions etc.
Excellent outcome.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean, are you saying that they'd have sent me a six year "Service Contract" if I lived in England
No, the legislation only gives you 6 years to seek a remedy if your statutory rights have been breached. Nothing more.

If your statutory rights haven't been breached then the 6 years means nothing. You'll only get the sellers warranty period.

Yes I understand that, but Winston was suggesting, almost insisting that this consumer protection was the reason I have been sent this five year warranty. If that was the reason, then logically someone in England would have been given six.

However reading what you said last, is this the normal Limitations Act (or Prescription and Limitation Act in Scotland) setting those five and six year limits, ie the normal limits applying to a civil case? I have only skimmed through that Consumer Rights Act but haven't found the bit where time limits are stated, or where significantly different provisions apply to Scotland aside from minor details about legal systems.

Sponsored Links
However reading what you said last, is this the normal Limitations Act (or Prescription and Limitation Act in Scotland) setting those five and six year limits, ie the normal limits applying to a civil case?
Basically yes, limitations on time limits based on claims for breach of contract.

Which engineer are you referring to? Surely the consumer would not be treated as an expert witness, it would just be their assertion that something that worked OK for 4.5 years must by definition have been faulty from the start.

Admittedly, in my head I was thinking of items that are less than 2 years old, rather than 4.5 years old. I guess the other problem is that the retailer might have gone out of business.

In particular, I was trying to address the whole "after 6 months" thing. I was reminded of Apple's hard sell of AppleCare. Apple tried to convince punters to pay 10-15% extra for 2 years of AppleCare even though in the EU, punters are entitled to a minimum of two years. Apple argued that their product was superior because after 6 months owners needed to prove that the fault already existed. In the meantime, other tech firms started offering 2 year warranties.

Last edited:
Just to finish this off, Sony made contact to confirm that they would be replacing our TV with a slightly later model. They arranged a service company to turn up with the new TV, not quite sure why it needs onsite installation but it may be so that they can inspect the faulty set. Certainly the guy wanted to check the old set and took photos of the screen.

Unfortunately on the first visit the feet for the new TV weren't correct. I think it had two left hand or something. That resulted in him taking everything away, and it was a couple of weeks before he turned up again.

So all sorted out now. Fingers crossed because they did not extend the guarantee so that will end in a couple of days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back