Soptlights tripping mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Recently both set's of spotlights in my home (1 in living room, 1 in hallway) have stopped working for the first time since moving here in 2004. Assuming the bulbs had gone i changed them all. All the bulbs that i took out were 50w and i have changed them (20w in the living room and 35w in the hallway as i could not find 50w spotlight bulbs with the correct pins). The spotlights still do not work and if i try to switch on the set in the hallway, it trips the mains switch. Please help!

Sponsored Links
When you say "the main switch" do you mean an RCD that has a Push to Test button on it?

What is written on this thing that trips? Does it say for example "B6" or "63A 30mA"

And what else goes off when it trips?

Have you made any changes apart from changing the bulbs, or has any work been done on the house, for example drilling or nailing into the walls or floors?

What voltage were the old bulbs that you took out, and what voltage are the new ones that you put in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back