Sorn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As my first car is presently off road under SORN
Would I be allowed to take it for a pre-booked MOT test now, prior to taxing it from the beginning of next month (February)
This is to allow time for any necessary repairs, if it passes I would not use till taxed.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station provided you have insurance cover.

If you want the goverments official line, click here and scroll down to the heading "Driving to an MOT test when a SORN is in place"

Stem: I may be wrong, but I thought he would still have to have Road Tax to take the vehicle on a public highway, no matter what the reason. You can take a vehicle without an MOT on to a public highway, so long as you are taking it to / bringing it from a pre-arranged MOT, but I think it still needs to be taxed?

Stem: I may be wrong, but I thought he would still have to have Road Tax to take the vehicle on a public highway, no matter what the reason. You can take a vehicle without an MOT on to a public highway, so long as you are taking it to / bringing it from a pre-arranged MOT, but I think it still needs to be taxed?

Sorry Stem, I have just read your link and stand corrected.

Sponsored Links

HOWEVER, I AM SURE THIS CON / LIB ALLIANCE WILL SOON COTTON ON TO THAT AND CHARGE FOR SUCH IN THE FUTURE!! :LOL:

HOWEVER, I AM SURE THIS CON / LIB ALLIANCE WILL SOON COTTON ON TO THAT AND CHARGE FOR SUCH IN THE FUTURE!! :LOL:
They owe me one, had my car impounded, while in a theatre in Manchester, I had taxed the car online, the disk arrived, but due to my stupidity forgot to put it on the car, as not displaying a current tax disk is an absolute offence, I had no option but to pay, everything these days is too clinical no discretion at all for a genuine mistake.

Wotan

whilst i have full respect for genuine mistakes that we all make if its covered and on computer it should pass with no action or actions should be cost free if its a simple not displayed and proven later

i just love the way that now motorists who used to be given a producer can now have there car taken away wont stop crime tax avoidance and uninsured drivers but blimey it feels good at the great reduction in people not playing fair :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have absolutely no objections to the ANPR cameras, and yes it gives me, pleasure to see the law breakers have their transport crushed, this type of person has no regard for the law, I believe just taking the car and crushing it is not enough.
They should be made to pay back tax and insurance, then a hefty fine and disqualification for at least a year.
Then the law abiding amongst us, might actually see our insurance premiums fall.

Wotan

I thought he would still have to have Road Tax to take the vehicle on a public highway, no matter what the reason.
That could never be the case if you think about it. How would he get a tax disc if the MOT has expired? A MOT certificate is required before a car can be taxed.

That's why they let you go to a prebooked MOT without tax. Once you have the MOT, then you can get the tax disc.

last time I looked into this its a grey area kind of thing...

From a road tax/MOT point of view, yes you can drive to and from the MOT station, via the shortest or quickest route (ie not via the supermarket for a bottle of milk)
the bit that comes un stuck is not having insurance, apparently you still need insurance for these journeys, which unless you have a trader or similar policy leaves you unstuck, what insurance company covers you for an untaxed, un MOTd car??

Tax and mot are not required to get insurance, so the order for get the required legality is insurance then mot, then tax.

Tax and mot are not required to get insurance, so the order for get the required legality is insurance then mot, then tax.

However, if you attempt to make a claim, they will still attempt to use this as a reason not to pay out.

(I cite my allegro, stolen when I was younger. Insco said it wasn't road worthy (It's a sodding Allegro!) and refused to pay out. At the time the loss of no claims as well as the hassle for a relatively low value claim wasn't worth it.)

I have absolutely no objections to the ANPR cameras, and yes it gives me, pleasure to see the law breakers have their transport crushed, this type of person has no regard for the law, I believe just taking the car and crushing it is not enough.
They should be made to pay back tax and insurance, then a hefty fine and disqualification for at least a year.
Then the law abiding amongst us, might actually see our insurance premiums fall.

Wotan

Ditto - throw the book at the b**tards!

While on the whole, I agree, I think we need to look at where this is leading. ANPR cameras also provide the authorities with a good picture of your movements. That's OK, I'm sure none of us have nothing to hide! ;) But as we have already seen, the DVLA has no scruples about selling the registered keeper's details to private entities (like supermarkets) to enforce parking restrictions. Fair enough, it's their land, but who else might the authorities start selling details of your car's movements to? Your employer? A jealous wife? "Carefully selected companies" who can then spam the living daylights out of you with offers tailored to your particular driving pattern?...

And of course, there's "the big one". ANPR technology is already used for congestion charging and will, if they get their way, be used ultimately for road pricing.

I think it's a case of "be careful what you wish for"!

(Now, where did I put that tinfoil hat)?!

Sponsored Links
Back