Sorry, but i got a fence problem....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

We have a fence thats made of the concrete posts, with concrete foot boards, with then lap pannal fenceing slotted inbetween the posts....

I have two questions...

1, Whats the best way to stop them rattling in the wind ??

2, ive got a couple that flex in the middle with the wind too, im thinking of anchoring them to the footboards.... any idias if the will work? best ways?
This was the reason for fitting new ones, the old ones rotted and cracking in the middle with the flexing...

P.S. Ive 50 of these to fix etc.... so dont want em snapping again, hence my post.

Many thanks in advance.

Rgds

M.A.

Sponsored Links
MasterAbacus said:
Timber packing, wedge, plastic blocks etc, the way I do it, is to to drill a hole through the timber batten of the fence panel carefully then use non-rust screws top & bottom and screw it in until it touch the concrete post on both side, the difficult part is find the correct length screws!
2, ive got a couple that flex in the middle with the wind too, im thinking of anchoring them to the footboards.... any idias if the will work? best ways?
240.jpg

I suppose you could use these bracket upside down and screw to the bottom of the panel.

or use them right way up and fix them to the concrete boards..

it's the design of the panels, for some reason the middle bar on one side is full height meaning the top rail is in 2 pieces on one side..

if this happens to be the oposite side to which the wind usually blows then it flexes open here..

if the panels do not have a top rail then you could fit one and nail it to both sides

masona said:
MasterAbacus said:
Timber packing, wedge, plastic blocks etc, the way I do it, is to to drill a hole through the timber batten of the fence panel carefully then use non-rust screws top & bottom and screw it in until it touch the concrete post on both side, the difficult part is find the correct length screws!
240.jpg

I suppose you could use these bracket upside down and screw to the bottom of the panel.

Do these brackets have a name? any ideas where I could get some from... they look like they will work perfect....

Cheers

Sponsored Links
This might be better as well, goes over the post and screw to each panel on both sides
1322.jpg

The fence panel accessories are available in most diy stores

Here one of them, scroll down to the middle of the page

MasterAbacus said:
masona said:
MasterAbacus said:
240.jpg

Do these brackets have a name? any ideas where I could get some from... they look like they will work perfect....

Cheers

Metpost fence clips about 65p each in B&Q near the fence panels in a bucket

Just bought some :D

They were actually called 'heavy duty trellis clips' or summat but they ain't heavy duty and they ain't holding trellis in my garden

Those fence clips...

If you can get them spot-welded back to back, you can put one "U" round the concrete gravel board and let the other grip the foot of the panel.

I don't think you could use bolts or rivets as they would tend to scrape the board as they move in the wind. Araldite might hold for a while.

In extremely strong winds (I live on the coast) the panels will bow enough to pop out of the posts and go sailing away.

you're right... they never blow down and never go rotten :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back