Sorry - Dimmer help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm trying to install a metal 1 gang 2 way dimmer but the instructions are useless.

The existing normal switch has 2 red wires connected to the same COMM and another red wire connected to L1. The Neutral (black) is not connected (plastic sleeve covers it) and the Earth (3 wires) is attached to the metal back box.

The dimmer has 3 holes. An L1, L2 and a ~(with arrow) and a hole for the earth to go.

I've had a go at wiring it using info from this site, but I don't see anyone else who has the same amount of wires that I have. :confused: I did have semi-successful results by matching up the L1-L1, earthing the 3 wires to the back of the dimmer and putting both red wires (from comm) into the ~ (with arrow). It worked for a moment - I could dim and brighten the light but it flickered and buzzed alot and eventually stopped working.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Mar

p.s. the dimmer is a GET 400 watt (from homebase) and the light is Halogen (5 bulbs - 20w each)

Sponsored Links
doesn't it come with instructions?

anyway.. 2 reds from com into L1
other red into ~..

if it doesn't work at that then you've "got a dodgy dimer".. ( ie you broke it :) ).. take it back for a new one..

doesn't it come with instructions?

It does have instructions, but either I don't understand them (most likely) or they are very poor. It has a diagram showing only 2 wires for the dimmer (I have 7) and there is no mention of colour. They are refered to as 1. Mains supply and 2. Transformer.

I'll try what you suggested.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
this is going to sound harsh so I apologise beforehand..
if you weren't sure what wires went where after reading the instructions, why did you then go sticking them somewhat randomly into the switch without asking for advice from us first?

The two wires which were in the C terminal must remain together and be put in the same appropriate terminal of the new dimmer.
The other wire will go in another appropriate terminal.
There will be a terminal unused.

You should then refer to the diagram to see which two terminals to use.
Leave the neutrals together in a connector block alone.
MAKE SURE THE METAL SWITCH PLATE IS CONNECTED TO EARTH.
You may need a piece of wire to do this.

You will need to decide which live wires are the FEED wires and which wires go to the LIGHT to comply with the wiring diagram.
Do you have a test meter?

if you weren't sure what wires went where after reading the instructions, why did you then go sticking them somewhat randomly into the switch without asking for advice from us first?

'Cause that's what men do :LOL: Normally I don't bother with instructions and just wing it, but because there was a possiblity of death, I thought I give them a quick scan. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I tried you earlier suggestion, but I must have fried it with my cack-handedness first time round. I'll get a new one to replace the 'faulty' one and try again.

Many thanks for your help guys.

Mar

It may well be that the light fittings you are attempting to dim are not dimmable, hence the flickering, buzzing and the fact it stopped working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back