sound reducing glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is on a main road and im getting some new windows and wondered what is the best glass for sound reduction? I thought tripple glazing would be good but I've been told by window company that triple glaze is more for thermal value than sound. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Triple glazing will help a tiny bit if you toughen or laminate one of the panes as it's the change in thickness that does it. I have triple and it does help a little. Secondary glazing is the best though.

As above. Secondary glazing is the one. Airport noise insulation schemes recommend it, too.

Sponsored Links
Secondary glazing will give you the most bang for your buck.

Triple glazing can be worse due to the reduced air gaps.

You can get acoustic double glazing but it is very expensive and the stated decibel reduction is about the level of leaves rustling in the trees or someone whispering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back